Board index Government and Politics

Government, politics, the U.S. Constitution, the Bill of Rights, the Amendments to the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, the Equal Access Law, and anything else that comes to mind.
Forum rules
This is not a forum for partisan expressions, party wars, or insult. Its function is to discuss the way biblical teachings relate to our governmental systems.

College loans and exploitative capitalism

Postby Steven Not Believin' » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:43 pm

So they loan massive amounts of money to mostly 18-year-old kids knowing full well they very well won't be able to effectively pay off those loans, locking massive amounts of people in perpetual debt. Then they wonder why we want an alternative economic model to capitalism.
Steven Not Believin'

Re: College loans and exploitative capitalism

Postby Pure Elise » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:47 pm

It is a way to keep the poor poor and the rich rich.
Pure Elise

Postby John Glenn » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:50 pm

If you can't pay back the loan, don't take it. Go to a trade school and make hundreds of thousands right out of high-school. Nobody forces you to take out a loan and attend college while selecting a major that will never pay for itself. Take some responsibility.
John Glenn

Postby Pure Elise » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:53 pm

People like to say things like that until they need to have a physician who is over $100,000 in debt reset their broken leg.
Pure Elise

Postby Steven Not Believin' » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:58 pm

The trades are good money, and I'm very pro-trade, but you don't make hundreds of thousands as an HVAC tech or something. That's absurd, bruh.
Steven Not Believin'

Postby John Glenn » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:01 am

Linemen in my area get $300k and a $60k 401k contribution a year. I know guys that graduated from a vocational high school and started out making more than I did my first several years in accounting, which required a 4-year degree and a CPA license.
John Glenn

Postby Pure Elise » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:04 am

I guess making money isn't the top priority for some people. If it were, we would have no nurses, mental health workers, teachers, etc.
Pure Elise

Postby John Glenn » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:07 am

Well, the whole theme of this post was snowflakes not paying back their debts, so money has everything to do with it.
John Glenn

Postby Pure Elise » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:10 am

I think the underlying theme of academic debt in general is the issue of inflated educational costs and poor governmental support. Otherwise massive loans would not be necessary to pay to have a career in any general field. And I don't think an individual wishing to make honest money (a plethora of it or not) through a helping profession (which are already underpaid) warrants being called the derogatory term "snowflake".
Pure Elise

Postby John Glenn » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:13 am

Agreed. Higher education is overpriced because it is in high demand. Too many people are opting out of high paying trades for useless majors like "feminist studies".
John Glenn

Next

Return to Government and Politics