Board index Government and Politics

Government, politics, the U.S. Constitution, the Bill of Rights, the Amendments to the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, the Equal Access Law, and anything else that comes to mind.
Forum rules
This is not a forum for partisan expressions, party wars, or insult. Its function is to discuss the way biblical teachings relate to our governmental systems.

Candidates, CPAC, and blatant pandering

Postby Powdered Donuts » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:17 pm

Do you see candidates mentioning that they're Christian and going to events like CPAC (Conservative Political Action Conference) as blatant pandering?
Powdered Donuts

Re: Candidates, CPAC, and blatant pandering

Postby jimwalton » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:48 am

It's pretty unfair to generalize and stigmatize. There are actually some conservative candidates, and there are actually some Christian candidates, and there are actually some conservative Christian candidates. And there are also a lot of manipulative, pandering politicians. But I don't think it's fair that every candidate who self-identifies as Christian and conservative, and who mentions events like CPAC, is pandering. Sometimes they want their constituents to know; at other times they want to manipulate potential voters. I think we have to be real careful about stereotyping, generalizing, and just assuming the worst about politicians. I know that some people consider "honest politician" to be an oxymoron, but hey, wouldn't it be reputable if there were such a thing? I believe there are (or may be). It's illegitimate and unfair to assume the worst.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:48 am.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Government and Politics