Board index Specific Bible verses, texts, and passages 1 Thessalonians

1 Thessalonians 4:16 - Is Jesus the same as Michael?

Postby Brain Pop » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:04 pm

Is Jesus the Archangle Michael? (Question from a JW)

What do Christians think about the below verse from scripture?

** 1 Thessalonians 4:16, where Paul describes the resurrected Jesus, saying:
“The Lord [Jesus] himself will descend from heaven with a commanding call, with an archangel’s voice and with God’s trumpet.”
So Jesus Christ himself is here identified as the archangel, or chief angel. ** (this is from jw.org while doubting the religion for some reason I still find myself researching on the website...)

Someone please help me understand what a Christian believes about this verse. I’m trying to find myself in a new religion but after being lied to my entire life I’m weary to identity myself with any religion ever again. Even if it’s in secret. For reference I am a born in Jehovah Witness. (Hence why I’m having to use my throwaway account.) we aren’t allowed to research anything outside of JW.org or the published material.
Brain Pop

Re: 1 Thessalonians 4:16 - Is Jesus the same as Michael?

Postby jimwalton » Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:26 pm

Maybe your first clue should have been "You're not allowed to use any knowledge or resources except what we give you." It's almost always a yellow light of warning.

Jesus isn't Michael the archangel any more than he is trumpet.

"For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven..."
  • with a loud command
  • with the voice of an archangel
  • with the trumpet call of God"

These are images of awakening, of universality, and of victory. "The voice of the archangel" further explains "the loud command. In the Bible, loud voices are often connected with a heavenly movement. Christ will come as Savior, conqueror, and victor. With power He will command even the dead, and death can hold no one against His command. Loud voices, archangels, and trumpets are all common features of apocalyptic writing, not so much describing the detail of an event as to announce a manifestation of God.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu Jun 15, 2023 2:26 pm.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to 1 Thessalonians