Board index Specific Bible verses, texts, and passages 2 Timothy

Unleashing the Power of God's Word

2 Timothy 3:1-5 - Have nothing to do with them?

Postby Mel B » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:39 pm

I’m almost done the New Testament :) I just wanted to reach out because I have been curious. At the beginning of 2 Timothy 3:1-5 it says “have nothing to do with such people.” I’ve just been conflicted because a lot of scriptures say this and I guess right now as I’m in a very “secular” school, a lot of the people I’m surrounded by fit this description. Ive been praying for God to help direct me through making disciples and evangelizing, I’ve been praying all winter break for everyone’s hearts to be softened so that I have an opportunity to share the gospel and they take it with ease— of course this is a hope of mine but I know that’s not always the case. I am one of very few Christians here at my school, and I love a lot of my non-Christian friends. I know God tells us to love them regardless, but I have a hard time digesting “having nothing to do with them”. What exactly does this mean? How can I change my current ways to better fit what God wants for me? I am very strong in my faith & also very open about it. A lot of people don’t necessarily speak out if they disagree, they just listen to what I have to say. I’ve been trying to use that to my advantage, but I also want to create a space for people to ask questions, I just feel like people aren’t really willing.
Mel B

Re: 2 Timothy 3:1-5 - Have nothing to do with them?

Postby jimwalton » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:01 pm

I’m glad to address your question. Paul is not talking about avoid godless people. In that case, we’d have to leave the world (1 Cor. 5.9-10). Instead, in this text in 2 Timothy Paul is talking about alleged “Christian” people who are behaving this way. Yes, supposed Christians.

The letter is written to Christians. Pretty soon in chapter 2 Paul is warning them about avoiding false teachers. They’re like poison (2 Tim. 2.17). These people who present themselves as believers but are not teaching the truth about Christ and not living the way Christians are supposed to live (2 Tim. 2.22-23) are foolish and stupid. It’s a trap of the devil (2.26).

These are the ones chapter 3 says “Have nothing to do with them.” How do I know? First, that the context coming into chapter 3. Second, look at 3.6, the next verse: they are the teachers (3.8) wiggling their way into the homes of believers, just like the false teachers in the days of Moses. They are imposters (2 Tim. 3.13).

Paul is talking about false teachers who are like cancer in the Church. Read 2 Tim. 4.1-5.

So, it’s not about you hanging out with your non-Christian friends. We are supposed to be salt and light in the world; you’re doing what Christ asked you to do: infiltrate the world with salt and light and stand firm for the faith.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Mel B » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:36 am

Back to my question from before. How do you help lead the “imposters” back towards Christ? There’s quite a few of those here also lol!
Mel B

Postby jimwalton » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:45 am

Great question. It’s very difficult to do. I don’t know if you’ve had psych classes or group dynamics classes, but it’s very difficult to create enough disequilibrium to shake someone out of their convictions. Usually such things happen only at momentous times in life when someone is so confronted by a different reality that they have no choice but to submit to truth. Even then, however, people’s ability to resist truth to maintain their worldview is intense.

The most reliable methods are continuing reminders of what the truth actually is combined with a lot of personal friendship (love, kindness, etc.). Those go a long way toward influencing someone toward the truth.

Despite that, most people will hold on to their views through thick and thin. I have been dialoguing with people on the web for 12 years now. The adage “people don’t change” is an adage because it’s so often true. Yes, people change as they mature and have experiences, but changing someone’s worldview is not so common. Sorry I couldn’t have more encouraging news for you.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:45 am.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to 2 Timothy