Board index Racism

Racism is unfortunately engrained in American culture, but it's also in many societies around the world. Does the Bible permit it? Does God endorse it? Is is a Christian practice? Let's talk about it!

Christianity and racism

Postby Very Sure » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:03 am

I have seen many Christian leaders denouncing the sin of racism (especially of late), but I have not seen any clarification of what this sin consists in, given that "racism" has been defined in myriad ways. If it means "hatred of another person because of their race", then it is clearly a sin, because hatred is, in itself, sinful.

So I shall use "racism" to mean "the belief that there are significant (according to worldly ways of judging) and non-superficial differences between various races." This excludes differences in melanin content, which are superficial, and differences in kidney function, which everyone regards as insignificant. However, it includes differences in long-distance running ability, which, however insignificant from a Christian standpoint, are considered significant by the secular world when the Olympics roll around. Is this form of racism sinful? More broadly, how should the sin of racism be understood?
Very Sure

Re: Christianity and racism

Postby Pastor » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:07 am

Racism is the belief that any race is superior or inferior to another. This is clearly sinful per the creation account of Adam and Eve in Genesis 1:26. All people are made equal in God's image.
Pastor

Postby Poor Folk » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:10 am

I think any distinction a person makes between races where any race is marginalized, demeaned, undermined, or rendered inferior or any way is racism. But it could be that racism is just one of those words that's hard to define precisely, but you can generally recognize it when you see it.
Poor Folk

Postby Loving the Ride » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:08 pm

There are some good answers here. I'd like to just add that Racism was an integral part to (atheistic) Darwinism. The real title of his book on Origin of Species included the "Favored Races".

Christianity has always held true to its claims that we are all one.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:08 pm.
Loving the Ride

Return to Racism