Board index Heaven and Hell

What we know about heaven and hell

Is heaven safe and protected or is it not?

Postby Tasty Soup » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:21 pm

"Lay up for yourselves treasures in Heaven. Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:26

So, I'm seeing first that heaven is said to be a safe place to store up treasure. Then in Matthew 11:1 Jesus seems to say the opposite of what he stated in Matthew 6:26 by revealing heaven suffers violence.

"Truly, I say to you, among those born of women there has arisen no one greater than John the Baptist. Yet the one who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he. From the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven has suffered violence and the violent take it by force. For all the Prophets and the Law prophesied until John, and if you are willing to accept it, he is Elijah who is to come. He who has ears to hear, let him hear" Matthew 11:1

So on the one hand, heaven is where you should store your treasure because Jesus says there it will be safe and protected from moth, rust and thieves. On the other hand, heaven is not safe and protected but suffers violence from the violent who take it by force. Am I right to see this as not completely making sense?
Tasty Soup

Re: Is heaven safe and protected or is it not?

Postby jimwalton » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:57 pm

Thanks for asking. Heaven is safe. Heaven isn't a place, per se, but rather the presence of God. God is not vulnerable to attack, susceptible to corruption, or in danger of losing anything. Matthew 6.20 (not Mt. 6.26) is metaphorical. We're not really putting any literal treasures in heaven. It's not like a bank account or a safe. It's figurative language about our commitments, loyalties, and values.

Matthew 11.12 (not 11.1) is a difficult verse, and is variously interpreted. At least I can say with certainty and confidence that when Jesus speaks of the "kingdom of heaven," it means something different than "heaven." The kingdom of heaven usually means the reign of God in one's heart and life. It's not a place.

So, by looking at what the Bible says about heaven, it's perfectly safe. As John 10.28-30 says, "I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one."

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:57 pm.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Heaven and Hell