Board index LGBT: Gays, Lesbians, Bisexual, Transgender, and Homosexuality

Let's talk about it. The Bible says some stuff, and our culture says a lot.
Forum rules
A conversation like this needs to show respect and understanding in every direction.

Was Jesus against homosexuality?

Postby Large Liberal » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:14 pm

Do actual Christians believe that Jesus was clearly against homosexuality? I know the fake ones claim it. As near as I can tell, there's only one or two places gay sex is mentioned in the bible, and yet the holier-than-thou folks make it seem that was the point of the whole book.

What about rape? Anything mentioned?

How about pedophilia? Anything?

So... if there's no mention of rape or having sex with a kid, are those things ok, cuz it's not in the big book of rules?
Large Liberal

Re: Was Jesus against homosexuality?

Postby jimwalton » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:28 am

Your post seems to go in a couple of different directions, so I'll launch out and try to deal with what I think you're getting at.

First of all, Jesus didn't say anything about or imply anything about the subject of homosexuality or homosexual persons. There's no mention in the words of Jesus. There are about seven or so places where the Bible mentions it, but you probably know that.

Rape? Jesus didn't say anything about rape. The Bible mentions rape in a few places. (Hint: it speaks against it.)

Pedophilia? Jesus didn't say anything about it. The Bible never uses that word, but it does forbid sexual abuse, which would be an umbrella covering pedophilia.

As far as it being a big book of rules, it's not. The Bible is essentially God's contract with humanity about salvation: Who He is, who we are, his desire to save us from death, what happens to us if we live by the contract (life), and what happens to us if we don't (death). But there are a lot of specific things that are not mentioned in the Bible. In those cases we uses the principles that are written there, and those principles are strongly against rape and pedophilia.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:28 am.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to LGBT: Gays, Lesbians, Bisexual, Transgender, and Homosexuality