Board index LGBT: Gays, Lesbians, Bisexual, Transgender, and Homosexuality

Let's talk about it. The Bible says some stuff, and our culture says a lot.
Forum rules
A conversation like this needs to show respect and understanding in every direction.

god and being gay

Postby Triska » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:50 pm

before anyone says my user age, yes, this account is literally brand new. I'm a lurker who just wants to ask a question.

God controls everything, right? He can do anything and controls everything?

Well, why would god allow me to be gay and endure constant hate and threats?

i swear i'm not a troll. this might get removed anyways
Triska

Re: god and being gay

Postby jimwalton » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:00 am

Glad to talk. I hope no one removes your post.

> God controls everything, right?

No, that's not right. In the Bible God is portrayed as a king and as sovereign, but there's no notion that he controls everything. We have free will, so he doesn't control us. We're not robots. God doesn't make people sin, so he doesn't control that. Often God lets nature take its course—it's where we get cause-and-effect and can have science. So he doesn't control everything.

> He can do anything

No, this isn't correct either. There's a lot that God can't do. He can't do absurd things, like make a square circle or a married bachelor. He can't sin; he can't act contradictory to his own nature; he can't change the past; he can't know what it's like to be ignorant, etc. So it's a misunderstanding that "he can do anything and controls everything."

> why would god allow me to be gay and endure constant hate and threats?

As you read the Bible, you'll read that God teaches us as Christians to love everyone. If you are getting constant hate and threats, those aren't coming from God or from anyone being obedient to what God commands (Love each other; don't judge anyone; be a person of grace; be a peacemaker). I could say with confidence that God is not pleased that anyone is treating you with constant hate and threats. The Bible is quite clear. It doesn't give anyone the right to hate anyone else.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:00 am.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to LGBT: Gays, Lesbians, Bisexual, Transgender, and Homosexuality