Board index LGBT: Gays, Lesbians, Bisexual, Transgender, and Homosexuality

Let's talk about it. The Bible says some stuff, and our culture says a lot.
Forum rules
A conversation like this needs to show respect and understanding in every direction.

Re: Where is transgender in the Bible?

Postby Baza » Mon May 31, 2021 4:54 pm

what’s female clothes today, first off men wore skirts in the 18 hundreds, and that was considered masculine, it’s completely subjective. And I do listen and follow the Bible. And even if it was a sin, we all sin and my sins r no worse then your sins, they r all forgivable, people act like being trans is literally the unforgivable sin…come on !!! He will forgive murderers and child rapists, yet oh no that trans person there doomed no matter what. It’s crazy to think that way, God will forgive anybody. As long as u r a true believer in Christ and try to follow the Bible the best u can, that’s what matters.
Baza

Re: Where is transgender in the Bible?

Postby jimwalton » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:59 am

​> What’s female clothes today, first off men wore skirts in the 18 hundreds, and that was considered masculine, it’s completely subjective.

You're correct about this, of course. We do know from ancient writings that transvestism was prohibited in the ancient Near East. Keil & Delitzsch write that the design of the prohibition in Dt. 22.5 is "to maintain the sanctity of the distinction of the sexes." Walton, Matthews, and Chavalas write that clothing served to distinguish gender and that the point of the text is to show that God wants to maintain gender distinction. Though the meaning of clothing is ascribed culturally, "the blurring of boundaries violates order." Rabbi Shalman said, "The text speaks of trying to pass for the other sex, not of cultural fashion statements."

> And I do listen and follow the Bible.

I'm glad, because it's the Bible that we're talking about.

> And even if it was a sin, we all sin and my sins r no worse then your sins, they r all forgivable

Yes we do, and yes they are, but those who belong to Christ do everything possible (or are supposed to do everything possible) to eschew sin.

> people act like being trans is literally the unforgivable sin…come on !!!

I don't act this way, though I know some do. We know some sins are worse than others, but we aren't given the list of hierarchy.

>He will forgive murderers and child rapists, yet oh no that trans person there doomed no matter what. It’s crazy to think that way,

Just for the record, I don't think that way.

>As long as u r a true believer in Christ and try to follow the Bible the best u can, that’s what matters.

This is true.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:59 am.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Previous

Return to LGBT: Gays, Lesbians, Bisexual, Transgender, and Homosexuality