Board index LGBT: Gays, Lesbians, Bisexual, Transgender, and Homosexuality

Let's talk about it. The Bible says some stuff, and our culture says a lot.
Forum rules
A conversation like this needs to show respect and understanding in every direction.

Drag queens reading stories to children

Postby Quality » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:29 pm

Do you object to drag queens reading stories to children? If so, why?
Quality

Re: Drag queens reading stories to children

Postby jimwalton » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:38 pm

In my view, the only reason people are pushing for it is to make gender fluidity acceptable and to destigmatize transgender expression. Gender fluidity should not be acceptable—it's nonsense and completely anti-science.

It is overly sexualized entertainment that has no place in front of children. Children should be protect from sexualization, especially what confuses them. For example (https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/restoring-america/community-family/why-drag-queen-performances-are-not-appropriate-for-children), at an event in Dallas, Texas, earlier this month, drag queens accepted cash tips from young children while writhing suggestively in front of a particularly memorable neon sign that read, "It’s not gonna lick itself." This has no place in a child's life.

"A child is not a prop to be used for political statements or for showing off that one is open-minded and 'hip.' " (Sex neuroscientist Dr. Debra Soh)
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Quality » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:13 pm

How is a story time sexual at all? Also, "Washington examiner" is hardly a credible source.
Quality

Postby jimwalton » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:13 pm

If they were truly just interested in reading to children in the library, they could just do that without the gaudy makeup, dresses, and making a big deal about it. But if there is something else afoot and another agenda at work, then there's a reason it becomes a drag show.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Quality » Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:51 am

It is performance.
Quality

Postby jimwalton » Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:46 am

That its performance doesn't give it a free pass or justify it in the presence of children. Striptease is performance, but I don't want my child there. R-rated movies with strong sexual content are entertainment, but I don't want my child there. Nor do I want my child exposed to the "performance" of a bawdy comedy act. Just because it's performance doesn't make it appropriate for children.

Entertainment shapes our thought processes and our values. We have to be circumspect and responsible about what we expose our children to.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Alarming » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:46 pm

So someone reading is somehow wrong?
Alarming

Postby jimwalton » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:48 pm

As I said previously, if reading is what they were interested in, they would come and read. They could just do that without the gaudy makeup, dresses, and making a big deal about it. But there's a reason it becomes a drag show if there is something else afoot and another agenda at work.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Alarmed » Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:38 am

Except there isn't?
Alarmed

Postby jimwalton » Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:41 am

The reality contradicts your opinion. There most certainly is a reason to don the dress and makeup rather than go as one's other persona. When going to read in a library, there is a REASON they go in drag. They see some purpose in it—something to be accomplished, or a perception they want to promote. Otherwise they wouldn't dress up. The thing speaks for itself.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Next

Return to LGBT: Gays, Lesbians, Bisexual, Transgender, and Homosexuality