Board index Faith and Knowledge

How do we know what we know, and what is faith all about

Faith in times of danger

Postby Cosmo » Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:17 pm

How do we build up our faith when facing dangerous situations, specifically situations over which we have little or no control?
Cosmo

Re: Faith in times of danger

Postby jimwalton » Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:21 pm

You have to deal with the possibility—which could be very real—that God is not going to take the danger away. I know—the implications of that are awful for your physical being, but I'm thinking about your spiritual being.

Your choices are most likely:

1. Curse God and "die". Desert the faith, as many have. This won't alleviate your danger, though. It will just add spiritual and emotional despair to it.

2. Curse God but keep the faith. This won't alleviate the danger, and you'll be an awfully bitter believer.

3. Figure out what we're supposed to do when the danger continues. Here's where Scripture speaks:

a. Have the same attitude as Christ Jesus—a very difficult one: Please take this cup away from me, but if you don't, I'll bear it.

b. Take Paul's advice: Take away my thorn in the flesh, but if you don't, I understand that it will keep me dependent on you for EVERYTHING, because every other part of life may be unbearable.

c. More advice from Paul: "But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed." Read carefully what he is saying: I am SO breakable, SO fragile, SO vulnerable. I am enduring more than I can handle, but I will not yield. Satan will not have me, no matter what.

d. Have the same attitude as Job: Satan will not have me, NO MATTER WHAT. I will not quit. Talk about pain - read the story of Job. Talk about hopeless and helpless.

I so strongly hope God will answer your prayer and alleviate the danger. But if he doesn't? I encourage you to choose #3. It's only a little more difficult than the others, because giving up is easy, and falling into despair is the default mode. Remember the three Hebrew men in Daniel 3: God is able to rescue us, but if He doesn't, we still won't bow to your gods.

We can only be thankful for each small blessing—tiny as it is. Some of us, for some inexplicable reason, have a harder journey than others. In the concentration camps, I've read, they would praise God for the song of a single bird that brought a slice of beauty to an otherwise hellish existence. The end of Hebrews 11 tells us horrible stories of people homeless, cut in two, and persecuted. Then the beginning of Hebrews 12 tells us they gather in the stands to cheer us on through life, saying, "We've been in those hellish place too. Keep walking!" Then it mentions Jesus who endured the cross. And the message is clear: "This is anything but easy, but it's possible. Don't quit, even though the hell is on your doorstep."
jimwalton
Site Admin

Re: Faith in times of danger

Postby Cosmo » Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:59 pm

This is an excellent response. Thank you so much, and God bless you.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:59 pm.
Cosmo

Return to Faith and Knowledge