Board index Miracles

Did the miracles really happen? Are they happening today?

Modern day miracles

Postby Scape211 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:47 am

One of the topics that seems to still circle conversation with others who don't believe is the idea of modern-day miracles. Many are considered minor or chalked up to some weird medical reasons beyond that of being something miraculous (even when we know doctors cant explain it). I listen to numerous youtube channel like the rest of us and frequent one called Testify (link for his channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/TestifyApologetics)

Most of his content goes into apologetics and philosophical discussions and arguments we commonly circle. But he also likes to discuss controversial topics like modern-day miracles. Recently he posted this video: https://youtu.be/GYtUV3ouwas

Many brush this stuff away with modern tech, photoshopping style stuff or some healing of the body in a natural way we don't understand or know of yet. However, we still don't have an explanation for this stuff and I am curious to hear various other findings of modern-day miracles we can point to like this that seem quite credible. Do you have any sources on this or avenues you go in approaching this topic?

Side note: I tried posting this with a different device and it said the IP was blacklisted even though a Spamhaus check gave it no issues?
Scape211

Re: Modern day miracles

Postby jimwalton » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:41 am

About the only possibly reliable source would be Craig Keener's book on miracles. Craig is a deep and detailed scholar.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Scape211 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:21 am

jimwalton wrote:About the only possibly reliable source would be Craig Keener's book on miracles. Craig is a deep and detailed scholar.

That is one I have heard of and will definitely look into it more. For those who don't know, this is the most exhaustive book on the miraculous to date. I know it also sounds weird to only have one credible source, but that's likely because any other source would be parroting what Craig has done here. He covers just about any decent claim of a miracle mentioned and does so to the point where it may even feel tedious and dry. But this is only because it shows how strong the claim of the miraculous can be up into the modern day. He even goes into any other possible explanations and talks about the common/main argument against the miraculous laid out by David Hume. Craig also used to be an atheist and was raised that way. So its interesting how he approaches the idea of miracles from a very scholarly, logical, and evidential approach from what I have seen so far.
Scape211

Postby jimwalton » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:23 am

Thanks for that review. Hopefully that will help others.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Miracles