Board index Christianity

What is Christianity

How can I follow a faith of enslavers and murderers?

Postby Mt. Everest » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:53 pm

How could Native Americans and African Americans practice the faith of those who enslaved, tortured and murdered their ancestors?
Mt. Everest

Re: How can I follow a faith of enslavers and murderers?

Postby jimwalton » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:55 pm

My first thought is that the torturers and enslavers may have been white Europeans or white Americans, but that doesn't mean they were Christian. My second thought is that a lot of people back then (probably as now) claimed to have been Christian but weren't really. My third thought is that back then just about everybody would say they were Christian, but because they aligned themselves with the predominant and convenient religion doesn't mean they were devoted to model their lives after Jesus. Fourthly, it's not fair to judge a movement by its abusers (hypocrites and fakers) but by its founders, its writings, and its tenets. The slavery and murder that was perpetuated back then is an embarrassment to humanity, but it was not done by dedicated followers of Jesus. The torture and abuse may even have been in the name of Christ, but done by people who had no soul devotion to him. We must never confuse nominal, carnal, or fake Christianity with the real thing.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:55 pm.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Christianity