Board index Christianity

What is Christianity

Why are people religious?

Postby Nic J » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:22 pm

okay so today I was talking to someone and they were saying in general. People who believe in religion believe in it because it gives us a sense of comfort and it answers questions that are hard to answer like for example "why do good people die?" is that true ? I have no idea if that makes sense .. it does in my head.

I don't think I ever questioned my faith and what I believe as much as I have this year. It's so frustrating.. is it suppose to be?
Nic J

Re: Why are people religious?

Postby jimwalton » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:04 pm

> People who believe in religion believe in it because it gives us a sense of comfort

This is a completely false and cynical view of Christianity: “People on do it because it helps them feel better. If this were the case (and I’m sure it is for some people, just as other people are in it for the money. You know, you can always find people trying to milk the system for their own profit.) Actually, Christianity, for those who bother to investigate it, says quite a bit to the contrary: If you become a Christian, you life could get worse. There will be persecution and suffering. People will insult you and hate you. You will be dragged before rulers, and thrown in prison. Both Jesus and Paul were quite clear about this. Anybody who’s in Christianity for the comfort didn’t read the contract! Ha! :lol: Sure, there’s supposed to be blessing, but sometimes the blessing comes with a sting. As the angel said to Mary, “You will be blessed, but a sword will pierce your soul also" (Lk. 2.35).” As Peter said, “You’re faith will be refined by fire.” And as Jesus said, “If they persecuted me, they will persecute you. Since they hated me, they will hate you also.”

The comfort we gain is in knowing the truth and living in it, not in having a cushy life.

“…and it answers questions that are hard to answer.” Absolutely. Christianity gives the best answers to the questions. Christianity OWNS science and philosophy. Christianity answers human grief, human evil, human joy, dignity, value, worth, purpose, life, and eternity. Christianity gives more satisfactory answers than Buddhism, Islam, and Hinduism. But I don’t follow it because of that. I follow it because it’s true. It answers the questions because it’s true.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:04 pm.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Christianity