Board index Christianity

What is Christianity

Re: If you all believe the same, why do you disagree so much

Postby Deb » Tue May 12, 2020 2:34 pm

> If we have a relationship with Him, and we confess our sins and turn away from them, those sins are forgiven.

That's true of course, but then if someone spends their whole life committing the sin of fornication, and never confesses or turns from it, because they were taught it wasn't wrong, then their sins would not be forgiven. Correct?

So it seems like a pretty crucial thing in that case.

> It's not sin that keeps person out of heaven

Everyone sins, but some sins are forgiven and some aren't. If God doesn't forgive a person (because they don't submit to him and don't repent) then those sins will keep them out of heaven. Sin is the thing that separates us from God in the first place. Jesus said "unless you repent, you shall all likewise perish." Since people won't repent of sins they don't think are wrong, teaching falsely that homosexual sex is not sinful is a pretty bad thing to do.

> LGBTQ is not the criteria for heaven or hell.

Obedience or disobedience is though - Jesus said not everyone that said Lord, Lord would enter the kingdom, and foretold that many would be surprised to learn they were not in a relationship with him at all.

But it seems like you think that "yes, this is a sin, but it's a sin you can sin and still go to heaven." (Please correct me if I am wrong, usually when people say "so you're saying that" they get it wrong!)

How do you determine which sins are sins you can sin and still go to heaven? And remember we're talking about sins that were never repented of because the person that sinned them was taught by their church that it wasn't a sin. Will there be unrepentant murderers in heaven, for example, or unrepentant adulterers?

You singled out LGBTQ specifically as though it has some special exemption - would you say all the same things about other types of sins, or would you explain how LGBTQ got this special status?
Deb

Postby jimwalton » Tue May 12, 2020 2:40 pm

> That's true of course, but then if someone spends their whole life committing the sin of fornication, and never confesses or turns from it, because they were taught it wasn't wrong, then their sins would not be forgiven. Correct?

Correct, but in that case it's not the sin that was committed or the length of time they engaged in it, but only that they neglected or refused to repent. "Fornication" has nothing specific to do with this equation. You could put any sin in the blank and come up to the very same conclusion.

> Everyone sins, but some sins are forgiven and some aren't.

Correct. And any sin can be forgiven with confession and authentic repentance. Any sin.

> then those sins will keep them out of heaven.

Technically, no; it's the lack of repentance that keeps them out. Any sin can be forgiven. We all sin, so it's not technically sin that keeps us out of heaven. It's the lack of repentance for those sins that keeps us out. Those who sin and repent and who accept the nature of Jesus get in ; those who sin and don't repent and remain in their sin nature do not.

> Since people won't repent of sins they don't think are wrong, teaching falsely that homosexual sex is not sinful is a pretty bad thing to do.

I agree. I think such false teaching is a travesty and it's wrong. Those who teach falsely will be held to account for it.

> Obedience or disobedience is though - Jesus said not everyone that said Lord, Lord would enter the kingdom, and foretold that many would be surprised to learn they were not in a relationship with him at all.

Correct.

> How do you determine which sins are sins you can sin and still go to heaven?

We all sin all kinds of sin. No sin can keep us out of heaven. Only lack of repentance for those sins will keep us out. It's not the sins you commit, since we are all sinners, but how you treat those sins—either with repentance or not—that makes the difference.

> remember we're talking about sins that were never repented of

Again, sin is only part of the picture. We can't focus on just that. Even people who have the nature of Jesus in them continue to sin. But if we confess our sins, He forgives us, and those sins don't disqualify us for heaven as long as we have the nature of Jesus. And I'm sure that are sins I never ask forgiveness for, or sins of omission of which I may not even be aware, and God's grace covers those. As long as I belong to Jesus, my sins can be forgiven and the ones I don't confess or don't know about can be covered.

But a person who doesn't belong to Jesus is in a different boat. Those sins separate that person from God, and those sins are not and cannot be forgiven outside of Jesus.

> because the person that sinned them was taught by their church that it wasn't a sin.

I'm glad God is omniscient, because I surely am not. I am not in a place to be able to evaluate all the ins and outs of life, and all the small nuances that you're putting out here. I know there are very complex situations, and I'm not qualified to judge. But God is, and He will do it perfectly.

We do know, however, that someone who teaches falsely will be subject to judgment (Matt. 18.6-7; James 3.1, et al.). I work very hard to give people trustworthy answers and to teach accurately. It matters very much.

> Will there be unrepentant murderers in heaven, for example, or unrepentant adulterers?

Generally speaking, no. People who have the nature of Jesus in them repent of their sins, generally speaking.

> You singled out LGBTQ specifically as though it has some special exemption

No, I only singled out LGBTQ+ because the original poster did, and so it's been part of the conversation from the beginning as some kind of example. I don't think LGBTQ has any kind of special status. We know some sins are worse that others (John 19.11; Lk. 12.47-38), but the Bible doesn't give us the ranking list. Some are pretty obvious (murder is worse than petty theft), but most are not so obvious. We really have no idea where LGBTQ fits into the list, though some churches or Christians make it clearly #1. I don't make it #1, but I can't compose a list.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby BanderasLGBT » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:30 am

Cada uno tiene su mentalidad, es normal lo que no es lógico es criticar grupos de los que no formas parte como son el colectivo LGBTQ+.

En muchas ocasiones esto pasa por propia incompresión y desinformación os dejo por aquí este post que lo explica de una forma muy consumible y para todos los públicos.

Historias, banderas y el porqué del movimiento.

https://www.banderaslgbt.com/

Rough Translation: Everyone has their own mentality, it is normal, what is not logical is to criticize groups of which you are not part, such as the LGBTQ + collective.

On many occasions this happens due to lack of understanding and misinformation. I leave you here this post that explains it in a very consumable way and for all audiences.

Stories, flags and the reason for the movement.
BanderasLGBT

Postby jimwalton » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:50 pm

Thanks for your comment. I'm glad to discuss this with you.

I don't agree that it's not logical to criticize a group of which I'm not a part. That would mean I'm not allowed to criticize politicians, can't find fault with adulterers, shouldn't say anything against child rapists, and certainly keep my mouth shut about people who are now marching the streets of American cities, burning buildings, ruining businesses, and shooting policemen.

But it doesn't make sense to me that I cannot criticize groups I'm not part of. I should be able to get to know LGBTQ+ people, understand them, love them, study about such things (theology and science), and if I come to the conclusion that the Bible calls it sin, that should be a logical and legitimate conclusion, even though I am not part of the group.

I agree that people come to false conclusions based on a lack of understand and misinformation, and we should all do everything possible not to be guilty of that.

I went to your website and tried to read it, but unfortunately I don't speak Spanish and so can't digest what's written there. Sorry. I would have to plug in every sentence into a translator, which would be more than tedious, very disruptive to a train of thought, and questionably accurate. If the site appears in English anywhere, please let me know.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:50 pm.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Christianity