Board index Noah's Ark & the Flood

Could the "flood" have been a political purge?

Postby Omnixa » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:19 am

Could the "Great Flood" have been a political purge by Adam (Gilgamesh's) father Lugalbunda in an attempt to obscure other's claim to Gilgamesh's throne? And the tale we know today is just what Lugalbunda told people what happened?

The "messangers" of God just being ancient hermetics who served the priest king Lugalbunda by ferrying messages to his allies across his kingdom.

But once Lugalbunda expected to die, he wanted his son Adam who was "dirt" (uneducated) compared to those with "Fire" (Lugalbunda's contemporaries, generals, family, etc).
Omnixa

Re: Could the "flood" have been a political purge?

Postby jimwalton » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:33 am

I see what you're getting at. Gulliver's Travels is the same idea. In Gilgamesh, the gods become angry at the "noise" of humankind and they choose to reduce the population by destruction. My question would be: What is it in the epic that leads you to a political metaphor? What does the preserving boat (a perfect cube) symbolize, in your view? I'm curious to hear your take on it.

And by "Adam," do you mean the biblical Adam (of Adam and Eve fame)?
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Omnixai » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:47 pm

Adam imo is just the ancient name of Priest-Kings. I believe that Gilgamesh for all intents and purposes is where the story of Adam derives from in the Bible.

The cube is obviously the Kaaba.

The epic itself doesn't isn't political. It's that people wrote it, and did so in the way they did. And we know scribes often corrupted writings to control the population.
Omnixai

Postby jimwalton » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:53 pm

> Adam imo is just the ancient name of Priest-Kings. I believe that Gilgamesh for all intents and purposes is where the story of Adam derives from in the Bible.

OK, but that's different than the Great Flood story. Hence my confusion.

> The cube is obviously the Kaaba.

It's sounds like retrogression. Islamic tradition is the the original Kaaba was built by Abraham and Ishmael. This was thousands of years after the flood. What does it have to do with Gilgamesh? Wow, I'm confused.

> The epic itself doesn't isn't political. It's that people wrote it, and did so in the way they did. And we know scribes often corrupted writings to control the population.

I'm getting the perspective that your theory is pretty wildly speculative with no focus and no evidence. Maybe you can enlighten me.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Omnixa » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:50 pm

People created religion to control people. I'm saying that all of these stories are considered to be literally true by people, but they're obviously just a collection of stories from the countries the Jews disliked, so that their people would fear those countries and not build cities.
Sodom and Gomorrah were Tyre and Jannahem.
Omnixa

Postby jimwalton » Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:55 am

> People created religion to control people.

You have no evidence of this whatsoever. Religious practice is one of the oldest observable human behaviors in all of history, and we have no idea, scientifically speaking, how or when it arose or what for. No one knows, so you have no grounds on which to say "People created religion to control people."

> but they're obviously just a collection of stories from the countries the Jews disliked

Again, that's no obvious at all. And again, there's no evidence of this. It's like you're making things up. You're entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to create your own facts.

> so that their people would fear those countries and not build cities.

Ditto. No evidence. All speculation.

> Sodom and Gomorrah were Tyre and Jannahem.

Again, no evidence.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:55 am.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Noah's Ark & the Flood