Board index Bible

What is the Bible? Why do we say it's God's Word? How did we get it? What makes it so special?
Forum rules
This site is for dialogue, not diatribe. And, by the way, you have to be at least 13 years old to participate. Plus normal things: no judging, criticizing, name-calling, flaming, or bullying. No put-downs, etc. You know the drill.

Why don't we get an updated Bible?

Postby Big Ed » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:17 pm

Disclaimer: I lost my faith several years ago. I still wrestle with various question that should occur to everyone, both believers and non-believers.

If God inspired the bible - why can't he inspire an updated edition?

In my opinion (and that of many) the bible is very confusing, contradictory and in quite a few cases entirely unbelievable to those not indoctrinated from an early age.

Why does God allow this to be his one, "main" vehicle to communicate what should be an easy to comprehend message?

Surely he sees many/most of us struggle to make sense of it.

Why does he let this continue?
Big Ed

Re: Why don't we get an updated Bible?

Postby jimwalton » Tue May 08, 2018 8:25 pm

The Bible is the record of God revealing himself through history to humans. It says what he wants it to say. It reveals himself the way he wants to be revealed.

If he updated the Bible, it would still be expressed in a language, in a culture, in an era. These are just the normal limitations of communication no matter what. But God continues to reveal himself, even in our world. Jesus was his last "official" (for writing in the Bible) revelation of himself, but he continues to have messages for us that come to us in a variety of ways.

I'm sorry you lost your faith. You and I have had conversations before ("At what point did God reveal his physical self?", "Why didn't Jesus write any of the Bible?"), and we can continue to have as many as you like so that your questions and confusions can be ironed out.

The Bible can be confusing because it was not written to us, though it was written for us. It was written to another culture, in another language, in another era. The farther we get away from that culture, the more different ours is. But its a universal message: God is love, people screw up, we need help, God offers help and hope.

I've examined the alleged contradictions closely. We can talk about any of those you want to. Same with "unbelievable".

Last bumped by Anonymous on Tue May 08, 2018 8:25 pm.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Bible