Board index Bible

What is the Bible? Why do we say it's God's Word? How did we get it? What makes it so special?
Forum rules
This site is for dialogue, not diatribe. And, by the way, you have to be at least 13 years old to participate. Plus normal things: no judging, criticizing, name-calling, flaming, or bullying. No put-downs, etc. You know the drill.

How does the Bible hold up to the test of time?

Postby Waffle House » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:59 pm

Generally speaking, I understand that it's really left up to interpretation, but I'd really like to hear y'alls thoughts on how it has held up as times change.

I was raised with a very skewed version of Christianity that has left me with a ton of uncertainty and skepticism now that I'm older. I guess I'm just having a hard time with the idea of gray areas when I'm very much a black and white kind of person.

Thank y'all :)
Waffle House

Re: How does the Bible hold up to the test of time?

Postby jimwalton » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:43 pm

The Bible has held up superbly for roughly 3300 years now (give or take, depending on your view of authorship; I take the more conservative scholarly view). The Bible today is being supported by archaeology and research in history. The Bible has no qualms with science. Its moral code is great (don't lie, don't cheat, don't steal, etc.); its value system is still applicable (love one another, be forgiving and kind, etc.). It's a phenomenal book.

Sorry to hear you got the Authorized Distorted Skewed Version (ADSV) that so many parents and teachers seem to teach. Now that I'm older, my research of the Bible just continues to convince me more and more deeply how true it is, and how it really is the revelation of God to us. The more I study it, the more I am thoroughly convinced.

It sounds like you want to talk about some gray areas. Let's talk. You say you're a black-and-white person, but life is often lived in the in-between. Very little is all or nothing, black and white, yes or no. The older I get, the more I am able to see the value of nuance and understand degrees rather than all-or-nothing. Let's talk.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:43 pm.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Bible