Board index Specific Bible verses, texts, and passages Genesis

The beginning of the covenant; Faith vs. Faithlessness

Why did God do what he did in Genesis 19:26?

Postby Zeus » Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:17 pm

Why did God do what he did in Genesis 19:26? I am confused and can’t stop laughing.
Zeus

Re: Why did God do what he did in Genesis 19:26?

Postby jimwalton » Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:17 pm

The implication is that Lot’s wife abandoned the flight and turned back (Luke 17.28-32). Jesus implies that Lot’s wife returned to Sodom. She didn’t just glance over her shoulder—she went back, and died for her decision because she was caught up in the rain of fire and chemicals. It's described as "she became a pillar of salt." She didn't turn into Morton's table salt; the molten materials of the explosion rained down on her, and she was burnt and encrusted.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Kyle » Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:13 am

She did just glance over her shoulder, she disobeyed and it was clear that was the consequence and God didn't want any to even look back or have a second thought about returning.
Kyle

Postby jimwalton » Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:15 am

Hmm. Doesn't make sense to me. If she just glanced over her shoulder and was turned into a pillar of salt, probably the only way that Lot knew that was because he turned around (or glanced over his shoulder) and saw her. If she was fried for the glance, he probably would have been, too.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Kyle » Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:49 am

I can see that being the logical reasoning. I just found the passage again.

But his wife looked back from behind him, and she became a pillar of salt. Genesis 19:26 KJV

It never mentioned that Lot looked back, we the reader were told what happened. It never said that Lot looked behind him, but he very well could have to looked at her, his heart was not intent on looking at, or returning to the city. We can assume his wife, did though, in her heart, look back at the city with not only her eyes but heart also, either with intent or longing, or a desire to return, or go back for possessions, for any reason really.

The next passage puts a little more meat to this, saying that Lot feared the city, reinforcing the idea that he had no qualms about the Lord's command

And Lot went up out of Zoar, and dwelt in the mountain, and his two daughters with him; for he--- feared to dwell in Zoar----: and he dwelt in a cave, he and his two daughters. Genesis 19:30 KJV

Hope this helps to explain a bit more! Always read the passage in context rather than a single verse, it generally helps very much with understanding.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:49 am.
Kyle

Return to Genesis