Board index God

How do we know there's a God? What is he like?

How are we to think of God’s provision?

Postby Me of Little Faith » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:33 pm

I’ve often heard other believers talk about “God’s provision.” Specifically, trusting God’s provision. But I don’t understand even a little God’s provision, or how to trust in God’s provision, outside of the provision of His Son and His Kingdom. I get that God has provided His kingdom, salvation, and the means to have relationship with Him in and through Jesus, what I don’t get is how or why anybody could or should trust in God’s provision for our day-to-day lives, or what that even means.
I think of the passage in Daniel 3:16-18 where the trio are about to be thrown in the furnace, and their response is basically “We understand that God CAN save us from you, but even if he DOESN’T we still won’t bow to your idols.” Similarly, I understand that God CAN provide for my day-to-day needs, but just because He CAN doesn’t mean He has to or even will, and as Job discovers, God is still good even if he doesn’t provide those needs or if I’m met with the worst tragedy, and the truth is I should remain faithful to Him even if He doesn’t provide.
I also think of Jesus’ words in Matthew 6:25-34, but think of the people around the world who starve every day, or who don’t have clothes. I know even in those worst of situations God is good and will ultimately bring healing and justice to those things, but knowing that any of that can happen to anybody makes me wonder how I can realistically trust God’s provision for the life I live until either I die or until Jesus’s return.
For context, the reason I’m thinking about this and it’s so heavily on my mind is because I am looking for a house right now, I have until April to find something and every house I can reasonably afford has major issues. I know if I told any of my believer friends how I’m afraid I won’t be able to find anything that they’ll just tell me to keep trying and trust God’s provision. But it’s entirely possible that God won’t provide a home, and that if He doesn’t I know He’s still good but it doesn’t make me any less angry, sad, scared, and hopeless.
Me of Little Faith

Re: How are we to think of God’s provision?

Postby jimwalton » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:28 am

Excellent observations and comments. I think you're absolutely right: Despite the way people talk about it, God's provision is not guaranteed. It's not a promise. As you mentioned, there are Christians around the world who are starving to death and who will die. There are Christians in countries like North Korea and China (among many others) who get arrested, tortured, and martyred; God does not "provide" for them unless He gives them strength we know about. Will God necessarily provide a house for you? Not necessarily. There are people in the world for whom God doesn't provide any housing let alone basic housing let alone preferred housing (housing that doesn't have "major issues").

Next we have to deal with the texts. I'll examine two in particular.

Matthew 6.11: "Give us today our daily bread." Yes, it's a prayer acknowledging our dependence on God for even small things and our survival. Physical things matter, and we are invited and encouraged to pray for them. Yes, pray every day. Nourishments, needs, sufficient for each day. "O God, take care of us." Some observations:
    1. We recognize God's hand in the daily mundanities of life, even our survival.
    2. Asking for provision doesn't preclude working for it.
    3. Praying for provision assumes a plurality ("Give us..."). Depending on the need, it is often other people that God uses to provide for us.
    4. There is no guarantee here that God will provide such bread, let alone daily. We are good to ask, but God is not obligating Himself to give.

Matthew 6.33: "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." The part about seeking God first and foremost is obvious. For our concern is the second part: "...and all these things will be given to you as well." It sure sounds like a promise and a guarantee, doesn't it?

The point is not that God will give you all things—that His provision will be abundant and never-failing. The point of the text is "Do not be anxious." Being free from worry doesn't mean being free from trouble. Seeking God first will never guarantee provision.

John Piper writes:
"Will Christians never hunger or starve or be ill-clothed? Have not some of the greatest saints in the world been stripped and starved? What about Heb. 11.37-38? The losses and miseries of these believers were not owing to their unbelief. They were faithful people of whom the world was not worthy.

"He means the same things as in Lk. 21.16-18. He meant that you will have everything you need to do his will and be eternally and supremely happy in him. How much food and clothing are necessary? Necessary for what? we must ask. Necessary to be comfortable? No, Jesus never promised comfort. Necessary to avoid shame? No, Jesus called us to bear shame for his name with joy. Necessary to stay alive? No, he did not promise to spare us death—of any kind. Persecution and plague consume the saints. Christians die on the scaffold, and they die of disease. See Rom. 8.23."
(Don't Waste Your Life, pp. 93-94)

All good gifts come from God (James 1.17), but we are not all given everything we need or only good things.

I found a study of the Psalms informative. When God provides for David, he exclaims in worship that God always gives him the desires of his heart. When God doesn't provide for David, he grouses about being in the pit (Ps. 40.2—how did David get in the pit, anyway?), surrounded by enemies (Ps. 9.13), or being poured out (Ps. 22), and he worships God anyway. Just like Job. Just like the men of Dan. 3.

Hope that helps. We can talk more if you like.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:28 am.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to God