Board index Assorted Bible Questions

Assorted and general Bible questions that really don't fit any of the other categories

Something happened—should I take it as a sign?

Postby I'm That Guy » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:49 pm

I used to be somewhat religious. Then I was somewhat atheist. And then something happened. Is this a sign?

Without going into too much detail, I was going to go do something fun that is somewhat dangerous. I caught myself thinking "Please, God, let us have a safe time", then immediately I thought "that was stupid to think. I don't need to ask God for a safe time" (since at that time I was convinced religion is all bs). Not 5 minutes later an accident happened which is directly and exactly what I was asking God to keep us safe from.

I'm still suffering and paying for this accident and may continue to do so for many years to come or possibly the rest of my life. I know this isn't evidence enough to prove anything as it could be tossed up to coincidence, and that it's even less significant coming from a stranger on the Internet. What if this had happened to you, though. What would your thoughts be? I've started praying and have found some solace in doing so. I know this also doesn't prove anything.

I can't help but look at this as a sign. Now I'm wondering if God speaks to everyone in subtle ways when they're ready. Before this accident happened there was a lot I needed changing in my life (specifically my outlook). I used to be very critical of people, somewhat impatient, and little things used to upset me. This accident put many things into perspective and taught me to be more easy going and not stress the little things.

Sorry if this isn't the correct place for this post, just wanted to share and get your thoughts.
I'm That Guy

Re: Something happened—should I take it as a sign?

Postby jimwalton » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:58 pm

Interpreting our circumstances is extremely difficult business, and we're pretty lousy at it. Back to back with that I'll say that God at times does speak to us through our circumstances. That the exact thing you thought to pray about happened within 5 minutes sounds awfully suspicious as possibly correlated, but who can prove such things. If you are open to the voice of God, you need to find out for yourself. You said you've been praying, and that you (1) have found some solace, (2) the accident has put some things in perspective, and (3) you are writing on the Internet to Christians looking for understanding about this stuff.

Knowing God as I do, I would say the chances that God is saying something to you are strong. The Bible tells us that God is always pursuing a relationship with us, and circumstances are one of the ways He does that. I would advise you to continue in prayer, but also to read parts of the Bible (just pick various psalms or any place in the New Testament—God speaks to us through His word). See what God says to you. And keep talking to me. Let me know what you're thinking about this. It's true that God speaks in both conspicuous and subtle ways when they're ready. Your mind had turned to God before the accident, and then the accident obviously turned your mind to God again (that's where your post came from). So let's keep talking.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby I'm That Guy » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:24 pm

The more I think about this, the more I see it as a blessing in disguise. I really did need a wake-up call. This has brought me closer to my family, to God, and to my girlfriend. It has drastically improved my outlook on life and I really have learned a lot from it. Other than taking away my free will, I can't think of anything else God could have done that would have had such an impact on me. There's still a possibility I will fully recover. It's amazing what happens when you start looking at disasters as a good thing rather than as self-pity and wonder, "Why did this happen to me?"
I'm That Guy

Postby jimwalton » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:05 am

Well then, I'm glad we're talking. C.S. Lewis says that pain is "God's megaphone to rouse a deaf world," shouting so loud that we can't ignore it. As in the story of the man let down through the roof (Mark 2.1-12, the man's greatest need wasn't the healing of his legs but the healing of his soul. If you're familiar with the story of Joni Eareckson (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joni_Eareckson_Tada), she has written extensively on the "benefits" (it's a hard word to use in this context) of suffering.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:05 am.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Assorted Bible Questions