Board index Assorted Bible Questions

Assorted and general Bible questions that really don't fit any of the other categories

I want to be religious but don't feel called

Postby Greenie » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:28 am

How can someone who wants to be religious become so despite not feeling any calling to do so?

If someone feels as if they should be religious but religion is not captivating them, what are some good ways to continue to discover if religion is right for them? What if someone wants to be and tries to be religious but never truly feels it in their heart?
Greenie

Re: I want to be religious but don't feel called

Postby jimwalton » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:38 am

You know, this is a great question. Thanks for asking it.

Maybe this will come as a surprise to you, but Christianity really isn't a religion (even though, yeah, I know everybody looks at it that way). The story of Christianity is that God loves you so much He wants a relationship of love with you, and what He wants is for you to love Him in return. I guess sort of like a marriage, but let's not take THAT analogy too far, eh?

The Bible says that technically EVERYONE is called (John 12:32), and God wants ALL of us to be in love relationship with him (John 3:16). God doesn't want us to be religious, He wants us to be friends (John 15:14-15). So the idea is that if you get it that God loves you, and you want a relationship with God, and a sense of family and belonging with Him, you give your life to Him (again, sort of like a wedding, when you invite that special person into your heart and commit to loving him/her forever).

> what are some good ways to continue to discover if religion is right for them?

I would start by reading the Gospel of John. It should only take you maybe 45 minutes. Then come back and talk to me about what you read and how it struck you. You could also read 1 John, which should only take you about 10-15 minutes.

Commitment to a relationship with God obviously means that you're convinced by the logic and evidence that God exists, that you're convinced by the evidence that Jesus is God, and you're convinced that this is what you want in your life.

> What if someone wants to be and tries to be religious but never truly feels it in their heart?

Our commitment to God isn't based in feelings. It's all about the facts. Feelings may come later, but it's really about whether Christianity is true or not, not about the feelings it raises in you.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Re: I want to be religious but don't feel called

Postby Greenie » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:48 am

Thank you

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:48 am.
Greenie

Return to Assorted Bible Questions