Board index Creation and Evolution

Evolution and Creation. Where did we come from? How did we get here? What is life all about?

Why did God bother creating us if he already had angels?

Postby Russell » Sun May 02, 2021 4:14 pm

If he was lonely/wanted someone to worship him, angels are perfectly capable of worshipping him or rejecting him, as evidenced by Satan rebelling. There seems to be nothing a relationship with humans could bring him that one with angels couldn't.

So why bother creating us meatbags?
Russell

Re: Why did God bother creating us if he already had angels?

Postby jimwalton » Sun May 02, 2021 4:20 pm

God created the universe as a temple suitable for his majesty and deity. Other false gods had humans make a temple for them to live in; God (YHWH) made his own temple (the cosmos) that was a more suitable expression of His nature (Ps. 19.1; Acts 17.24). So He created the cosmos to bring Him glory.

Then He created human beings because he wanted more children (Rom. 8.16-18, 29-30; Jn. 1.14, 12; Heb. 2.10). His love was complete and fulfilled in the Trinity, but He wanted more children to share His presence and His love with, not out of need but out of desire.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Russell » Sun May 02, 2021 4:32 pm

Thanks but this doesn't really answer the question. Why would he create us if he already had angels? If he wanted more children why didn't he just create more angels?

And how can a false God make someone do anything if they're a false God and don't actually exist?
Russell

Postby jimwalton » Sun May 02, 2021 4:35 pm

Sorry if I didn't answer your question. Let me get more specific.

> If he was lonely

God was not lonely. In the Trinity, He had sufficiency of relationship. He doesn't have any needs, and He doesn't need anyone or any relationship. He is complete.

> angels are perfectly capable of worshipping him or rejecting him, as evidenced by Satan rebelling. There seems to be nothing a relationship with humans could bring him that one with angels couldn't.

Angels don't seem to be the kinds of beings that have a relationship with God, or relationships, period. They don't marry or are given in marriage. As far as we can tell, they aren't gendered. They don't seem to be eligible for salvation. They worship God (cherubim and seraphim, specifically), and they serve God (archangels and angels), but we never read anything about relationships or even their capability of relationships. So that would be my opinion there.

Humans, on the other hand, seem to be made for relationship. We seek them out, find fulfillment in them, and often struggle with problems when we don't have relationships. We're a completely different kind of being than angels. It seems we bring a lot more to the relationship "table" than an angel is capable of.

> And how can a false God make someone do anything if they're a false God and don't actually exist?

Something that doesn't exist can't make anyone or anything do anything. If they don't exist, they don't exist, and therefore have no power of causation.

This is an odd, seemingly self-contradictory question. What's behind it?
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Russell » Sun May 02, 2021 5:30 pm

Which question are you speaking of? And if God doesn't need relationships, why would he create beings specifically for the purpose of having a relationship with them? The rest of your answer of the differences between Angels and Humans was good, thanks.
Russell

Postby jimwalton » Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:09 am

> Which question are you speaking of?

You said I didn't answer your question, so I answered it. I presumed you meant "Why would he create us if he already had angels? If he wanted more children why didn't he just create more angels?" So that's the question I answered.

The other question I perceived as self-contradictory, so I didn't answer that one—it's unanswerable.

> And if God doesn't need relationships, why would he create beings specifically for the purpose of having a relationship with them?

I answered this question also. He wanted more children. He had relationships within the Trinity (Father, Son, Spirit) and so had no need for more, but He wanted more. Just like a family who has three children and yet wants another one, just to share their love with another child. They certainly don't NEED any more, they just want more.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:09 am.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Creation and Evolution