Board index Angels

What are they? What do they do? What do we know about them?

Why do angels exist?

Postby Gizmo » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:59 pm

We hear quite a bit about the trinity but has been a long time since I have read anything about the angels.

Why do they exist?

The holy spirit seems to be the active meddler in human affairs.

Angels are fallible, the devil and demons were former angels.

Man was made to fill God's desire for love.

I just cannot think of a reason for their existence.
Gizmo

Re: Why do angels exist?

Postby jimwalton » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:47 pm

Angels are portrayed in the Bible as (1) messengers: one of the ways God uses to communicate to humans, and (2) contractors, so to speak: one of the ways God shows his power in various situations is by working through angels.

So, why does God need help? Scripture indicates that the presence of God is so powerful that a fragile human being would be killed by His very presence. So when God needs to get things done, to talk to people, to make an appearance, he often uses angels.

Why does he use angels to various expressions of his power? Because they are the right application for the right situation.

> The holy spirit seems to be the active meddler in human affairs.

There are lots of spirit meddlers in human affairs, according to the Bible. We are not alone on this planet.

> Angels are fallible, the devil and demons were former angels.

We don't know much about angels. As far as their being fallible, we have to go with that based on Jude 1.6. If they abandoned their home, we are left to interpret that as a mistake. As far as the devil and demons being former angels, that's a much tougher case to prove. I'm not so sure about that. The angels mentioned in Jude 1.6 are never associated with the devil or demons.

> Man was made to fill God's desire for love.

There's nothing true about this statement, and no evidence in Scripture that this is the case. One of the attributes of the Trinity in Christianity is that God's love found perfect expression in the love of the Persons of the Trinity for each other. God has no needs.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:47 pm.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Angels