Board index Extraterrestrial Life and Aliens

Life on other planets, visitations from outer space, and theology.

Life elsewhere in the universe?

Postby Adam » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:13 am

How do you explain it? There are a multitude of news stories all promising that life exists outside of our planet and that proof of life is immanent. (Not aliens, just microbes)

You have the singing Comet 67P (glorious to listen to, I also recommend listening to the sun)
Ceres has water, Mars has hinted at it and many others about to be announced all at the same time... all to tell us, God is not the creator, that there must be another explanation.

The Large Hadron Collider is trying it's hardest to explain how God built the universe and the panspermia theory is gaining popularity.

Aside from Genesis, how do we explain the universe and life?
Adam

Re: Life elsewhere in the universe?

Postby jimwalton » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:23 pm

We have to follow truth wherever it leads. If there's life elsewhere in the universe, then there is. It only makes us Christians look like idiots if life is proved to be elsewhere and we deny what is obviously true. It's laughable, though, to assume that life elsewhere in the universe disproves that God is the creator; it does nothing of the sort. The Bible is clear that God created the entire cosmos—to reveal his glory and to sustain life.

Nor does it show that Genesis is untrue. The traditional view of Genesis is geocentric, and the writer wasn't speaking of life anywhere else. The functional view of Genesis is theocentric, and God ordered the entire universe to function well. Neither interpretation insists that there is only life on the earth.

If life is found elsewhere in the universe, good for it. It neither shakes my faith nor disproves the Bible.

I think scientists are hoping that if they find traces of life elsewhere, it proves some segment of their theories about the possibility of evolution, but who cares about that either? First of all, it really doesn't prove that, and secondly, if one segment of evolutionary theory is maybe substantiated by a possibility elsewhere, that doesn't mean much. It certainly doesn't dislodge any of the truth in the Bible.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Tea Man » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:55 pm

But wouldn't the discovery of intelligent extra terrestrial life damage your Christian faith?
Tea Man

Postby jimwalton » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:12 pm

Nope, not a bit, as I explained above.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:12 pm.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Extraterrestrial Life and Aliens