Board index Creation and Evolution

Evolution and Creation. Where did we come from? How did we get here? What is life all about?

How many earths did God create?

Postby Savvy » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:13 pm

It seems strange that god all of a sudden decided to create earth 5,000 years ago.... If God has always existed then this cannot be the his/her/it's only earth. I have 3 theories.

Theory 1:

Every moment gods creating a new earth. Something like a parallel earth. Each time you dream could be a flashback from a different earth or you could be experiencing another person or thing in a parallel dimension.

Theory 2:

There could be only one earth and you get born/reincarnated into an available timeline based on certain parameters. This earth doesn't "start", "restart", or "stop".

Theory 3:

There could be an infinite amount of earths but not parallel. Everytime there is a rebellion in heaven god starts over again with genesis. Makes you wonder why would someone even want to give up their position in heaven. But that's besides the point.
Savvy

Re: How many earths did God create?

Postby jimwalton » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:24 pm

> It seems strange that god all of a sudden decided to create earth 5,000 years ago

Very strange. The Bible doesn't require a young earth. Fewer people believe it all the time. That date was set up by people doing the math on the genealogies, but we have learned that the genealogies never tried to include every generation, so that math is bogus and the conclusion of 5,000 years old is wrong.

Therefore, the foundation of your discussion is already on thin ice. The Bible doesn't say how old the earth is. We have to rely on science for that information, and right now the current theory is 4.5 billion years. As a Christian, I'm fine with that number, though if science changes their perspective with good evidence, I'll go with science.

> If God has always existed then this cannot be the his/her/it's only earth.

To me there is no logical or theological support for this statement. Can you support it or substantiate it?

> Theory 1: Every moment gods creating a new earth.

Um, it sounds like you're just making up theories. What makes you think anything about this is true?

> Theory 2: reincarnation

Since we're Christians that you're talking to, we don't believe in reincarnation.

> Theory 3

Rebellion in heaven? God starting over? Where are you getting this stuff?

What about theory 4? God caused the Big Bang 13.8 billion years ago. The universe formed in the expansion process, and the Earth came into existence 4.5 billion years ago. As far as we know (though they are perpetual speculations), there is no other planet that supports life, and so far we are the only one. The Bible (for obvious reasons) is totally geocentric in its perspective, and speaks of God creating the universe as a Temple suitable for His presence and the Earth as the place where He will form relationships with the people He has made in His image. As far as we know, whether by science or theology, this is the only Earth God created.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Savvy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:40 pm

Just thinking out loud. My question is: Why don't you come up with your own theories? Do you feel more comfortable believing what other people write down? It's definitely less work.
Savvy

Postby jimwalton » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:56 pm

We all benefit from the scholars who have gone before us, whether science, history, philosophy, law, or theology. In actuality, though, I am an independent thinker who has done quite a bit of analysis on my own without relying on others.

Reading over my post, I don't see anything in it to specify whether I was positing my own ideas or the theories of others, so I'm not sure why you're judging me. I would think that when someone else had a good idea that is true, we should all subscribe to it. We learn from each other, and I consider that to be good thing.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:56 pm.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Creation and Evolution