Board index Bible

What is the Bible? Why do we say it's God's Word? How did we get it? What makes it so special?
Forum rules
This site is for dialogue, not diatribe. And, by the way, you have to be at least 13 years old to participate. Plus normal things: no judging, criticizing, name-calling, flaming, or bullying. No put-downs, etc. You know the drill.

Sola scriptura and personal relationships

Postby Gizmo » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:01 pm

Greetings friends,

Another awesome day and another lovely post. So Church Authority post led me to Sola Scriptura.

My questions are:

1. If one believes in a personal relationship with God, does that point you to what parts are scripture and what parts could have been picked due to fallible people?

2. Do you personally follow a scripture not in the New Testament and what is it? (This one is pure curiosity)
Gizmo

Re: Sola scriptura and personal relationships

Postby jimwalton » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:05 pm

1. My personal relationship with God tells me that all Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and for instruction in righteousness (2 Tim. 3.16). It tells me that God is the source for all of it (2 Peter 1.20-21). There's no picking and choosing to be done. It's all Scripture.

2. Do you mean the Old Testament? Sure I follow it, as it is supposed to be followed as filled up by the New Testament. If you mean the Apocrypha, nope—not Scripture.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Gizmo » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:59 pm

But is there not other papers/passages that claim to be divinly inspired but were not chosen to be put in the NT by a council of humans? Ie. Wisdom, Tobit, Judith, etc. They are apocrypha but still leads to same general question.
Gizmo

Postby jimwalton » Sat May 04, 2019 2:17 pm

Sure. Every holy text claims inspiration. The proof is in the pudding. We don't attribute inspiration to the Bible only because it says so, but on many factors such as historical reliability, true to life, and its proven track record of changing lives.

> but were not chosen to be put in the NT by a council of humans

This is a misunderstanding of the canonization process. The deliberations of the Church during this time involved recognizing the books given by God rather than deciding what books to include. The difference is a subtle but important one. The books of the New Testament are not Scripture because the church said they were, but are Scripture because from the time of their composition they bore the mark of divine authority. The New Testament, and in fact the Bible as a whole, is thus a list of authoritative writings rather than an authoritative list of writings.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat May 04, 2019 2:17 pm.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Bible