Board index Government and Politics

Government, politics, the U.S. Constitution, the Bill of Rights, the Amendments to the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, the Equal Access Law, and anything else that comes to mind.
Forum rules
This is not a forum for partisan expressions, party wars, or insult. Its function is to discuss the way biblical teachings relate to our governmental systems.

Is the Republican party the party of Christ?

Postby Portlander » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:23 pm

Why do Christians think the Republican Party is the party of Christ?
Portlander

Re: Is the Republican party the party of Christ?

Postby jimwalton » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:28 pm

We don't. There are many Christians who are Democrats. When some people examine that platforms of Democrats and Republicans, many Christians disagree with the stance that the Democrats take on abortion, the exaltation of the agenda championed by LGBTQ community, and the disrespect for religion in the public square as a legitimate expression of one's free speech and liberty. But many Christians also agree with many aspects of the Democratic party platform. You'll find Christians in all political parties.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Qwerty » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:25 am

> and the disrespect for religion in the public square as a legitimate expression of one's free speech and liberty

Can you elaborate on this? Should there be legal consequences for saying certain things concerning religion?
Qwerty

Postby jimwalton » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:26 am

> Can you elaborate on this?

Sure.

* The baker in CO who received death threats and lawsuits for not serving LGBT on religious grounds.
    * In 2016 The U.S. Commission on Civil Rights argued that Bible-believing Christians employ the phrase "religious liberty" as a code for "discrimination, intolerance, racism, sexism, homophobia, Islamophobia, Christian supremacy or any form of intolerance.”
    * In 2017 Christian Churches and Christian organizations were labeled "hate groups" by the SPLC.
    * In Dec., 2017, a fire chief in Atlanta wrote a men's devotional book for his church, on his time outside of work. He was fired on the charge that it was “not unreasonable for the city to fear” his views might cause “public erosion of trust in the fire department” because of the religious nature of the writing.
    * In Feb. 2018, Joy Behar, on "The View," said that people who claim to hear the voice of God (therefore, Christians) are mentally ill.
    * March, 2018. Actor Chris Pratt tweeted prayers for friend Kevin Smith after a life-threatening heart attack. He received a strong backlash from atheists, criticizing him to keep his religion to himself, and also saying it’s inappropriate to solicit prayers online.
    * March, 2018: The FFRF accosted Washington governmental officials that it is a conflict between Church and State to allow an honored American, Billy Graham, to lie in state in the Capitol Building since he was a religious person.
    * April, 2018: George Washington University offed a seminar on "Fighting 'Christian Privilege,' " to equip students to resist Christians to the goal of "promoting diversity."
    * June 2018: Indianapolis. CrossFit fired a Christian employee over his Christian beliefs.
    * July 2018: Cheviot, OH. FFRF threatened a lawsuit against a restaurant offering a discount to people who presented a church bulletin when the came in for Sunday brunch.
    * August 2018. Ramin Parsa was arrested in the Mall of America for sharing his faith with a small group of Muslims who asked him to do so.
    * Nov. 2018. Christian student senator at UC Berkeley was harassed for abstaining from a pro-LGBTQ vote. She later wrote a piece condemning bigots and bullies, called the LGBTQ community "valid and loved." And yet she was condemned as "Toxic, violent, hypocritical and bigoted" for abstaining on the basis of her religious beliefs.

These are SOME of what I have.

> Should there be legal consequences for saying certain things concerning religion?

I think there should be freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and freedom of religious expression. People should not be harassed, bullied, or sued because they dare to say they are Christians and they live by their beliefs. I'm not sure what you mean further by this question, but we can certainly talk further if I have not addressed your questions.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Portlander » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:43 pm

oh so you're distracted by social and cultural issues and over look the anti-christ economic policies of the republican party?
Portlander

Postby jimwalton » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:44 pm

I didn't overlook them at all. There is no practical way in a single post to thoroughly deal with all the pros and cons, moralities and immoralities of the policies of both parties. I can say this with certainty and conviction: no political party embodies or represents the kingdom of God. The flaws and immoralities of both parties are systemic and deep.

I would also say with certainty that both Republicans and Democrats have economic policies that are contrary to Christian ideals. That's why I started off my first comment with the statement that I do not think the Republican Party is the party of Christ. Nor is the Democratic Party. Christ and His kingdom are not party-aligned.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Portlander » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:26 pm

right, but you think that denying healthcare to children, locking immigrant kids in cages, separating families from one another, dropping bombs on impoverished cities, exploiting labor, lying to people about the disasters of climate change, and initiating and supporting coups to instill brutal dictators that murder innocent people is less of a moral issue than a woman aborting a fetus.
Portlander

Postby jimwalton » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:26 pm

No I don't. Why would you assume I think those things? What I said was...

* Both parties have good and bad things in their platforms
    * Both parties are guilty of immorality
    * "The flaws and immoralities of both parties are systemic and deep."
    * "both Republicans and Democrats have economic policies that are contrary to Christian ideals."
    * "Christ and His kingdom are not party-aligned."

And from that you somehow conclude that I think that "denying healthcare to children, locking immigrant kids in cages, separating families from one another, dropping bombs on impoverished cities, exploiting labor, lying to people about the disasters of climate change, and initiating and supporting coups to instill brutal dictators that murder innocent people is less of a moral issue than a woman aborting a fetus."

Whaaaaat? Where does THAT comes from? I neither said nor implied any such thing.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Portlander » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:47 pm

then why do you vote republican?
Portlander

Postby jimwalton » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:49 pm

I never said anything about what party I am or how I vote. I was answering the question about why some people think that the Republican Party is the party of Christ, and I answered that it's not. Christians are both Democrats and Republicans. Both sides have good and bad things about their platforms. Christ doesn't have a party. That's all I said.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Next

Return to Government and Politics