Board index Satan

Satan, Lucifer, demons, demon possession, and exorcism.

Can the devil implant thoughts in your mind?

Postby A Moron » Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:58 pm

Does the devil influence your thoughts or does he influence situations that he thinks will lead you to have evil thoughts and fall into sin. If he can influence your thoughts it seems to impede on your free will to make decisions.
A Moron

Re: Can the devil implant thoughts in your mind?

Postby jimwalton » Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:49 pm

One of the main characteristics of the devil in the Bible (besides tempter and accuser) is deceiver. It was what happened in the Garden of Eden (Gn. 3.13; 2 Cor. 11.3; 1 Tim. 2.14), and it is mentioned elsewhere as well (Acts 13.10; 1 Tim. 4.1; Rev. 13.14; 20.3, 10).

Honestly, to deceive someone means you have to have some influence over their mind and the way they think. It would seem to me that he has a way of getting thoughts into your mind (whether or not "implant" gives the right idea).

> If he can influence your thoughts it seems to impede on your free will to make decisions.

A suggestion, temptation, or influence don't necessarily interfere with our free wills. Nowadays the politicians, media, and social media are all working as hard as possible to be the influential voice in people's minds, but none of that, no matter how persuasive, interferes with our free wills. Despite the onslaught of input, we always have the power of free will to accept or reject any influence, pressure, temptation, or information.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby pat007 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:22 pm

I have a related question, but phrased slightly different. Does it say any where in the Bible that Satan (or demons) can place thoughts in the mind of a Christian? If not, then, where do thoughts come from (especially when they are evil)?
pat007

Postby jimwalton » Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:02 pm

Pat007, thanks for writing.

There is no indication in the Bible that demons place thoughts in the minds of Christians. In the Gospels and Acts, demon-possessed people always tell the truth. They identify Jesus as the Holy One of God and as the Son of God. They identify Paul as a servant of God and a preacher of salvation (Acts 16.17). I'm not aware of a place where a demon is specifically identified as (1) deceiving people, (2) speaking something untrue, or (3) placing thoughts in the minds of Christians. If you know of such a text, we can discuss it.

Instead, demons in the Gospels wreak havoc on people's bodies and minds (like making them seem like madmen). But there is no evidence that they place thoughts in the minds of Christians.

Satan is different, however. As I mentioned in the thread above your question, to deceive someone means you have to have some influence over their mind and the way they think. You want some specific texts.
  • In the temptation of Jesus, it seems that Satan is trying to influence how Jesus thinks.
  • In Matthew 16.23, Jesus implies that Satan has placed this thought in the mind of Peter and turned Peter into an agent of Satan, functioning as a tempter and adversary—the role of Satan.
  • In the temptation of Eve in Genesis 3, we could at least admit that Satan influenced the way she thinks by planting certain ideas and thoughts in her head.
  • In Matthew 13.19, Satan snatches away the Word that was sown. It implies some influence over what we think and the way we think, since "planting the seed" implies thoughts of the mind and heart.
  • In Acts 5.1-3, Peter accuses Ananias that Satan has filled his heart, for one, and incited him to lie.

This is a great question you had. If you want to talk it more, let's talk.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby pat007 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:18 pm

Thanks for your reply. Mark 7:21 says that "...For it is from within, out of a person's heart, that evil thoughts come..." Does that mean we are to blame for the evil thoughts in our minds?
pat007

Postby jimwalton » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:30 pm

Again, great question. Mark teaches that we can't pass the blame to Satan for all our sin. Most of it comes directly from us. Yes: we are to blame. As a whole, the Bible teaches that most sin comes from our sinful hearts and our corrupted minds, but Satan is working to deceive us and influence us against God. The old, "The devil made me do it!" is rarely true, but it happens. The actual dynamics are that our hearts and minds are depraved by sin, and Satan plays off of that to deceive and corrupt us (and those around us) even further. Just as sanctification is a cooperative work between the Holy Spirit and my spirit, so also temptation, deceit, and sin are the cooperative work of sin in us and Satan "prowling around seeing whom he may devour" (1 Pet. 5.8).
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby pat007 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:18 pm

John 13:2 says that "During supper, when the devil had already put it into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, to betray him..." Does this indicate that Satan can prey directly on the mind (and plant evil thoughts in our mind)?

Acts 5:3 says "But Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and to keep back for yourself part of the proceeds of the land?" Does this demonstrate how Satan entered the heart of Ananias and tempt him to lie to the Holy Spirit? Indicating that Satan can enter the thought and minds of Christians? Ananias was favored of the Lord and a disciple of Jesus.
pat007

Postby jimwalton » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:53 pm

> John 13:2 ... Does this indicate that Satan can prey directly on the mind (and plant evil thoughts in our mind)?

Yes, I think that's fair to say. Although I would also add that believers who are under the control of the Holy Spirit have much greater protection from such planting. If we submit to God and resist the Devil, he will flee from us (James 4.7). I believe that Satan has little power, if any, over a fully devoted disciple of Christ, though none of us is invulnerable to temptation.

> Acts 5:3

We all face temptation. Satan is able to prey directly on the mind. But God always provides a way of escape (1 Cor. 10.13). The more our minds are tuned to God, the less access and the less power Satan has.

> Does this demonstrate how Satan entered the heart of Ananias?

Where your treasure is, that's where your heart will be (Mt. 6.21). Ananias's heart was struck by greed, so Satan hit him at his point of weakness, as is typical for all of us. He hit David on his passions, Peter on his fears, Hezekiah on his pride, Saul on his jealousy, and Moses on his frustration.

> Ananias was favored of the Lord and a disciple of Jesus.

That's a different person. This Ananias (Acts 5) is the only time we see this guy. I'm not sure who you're confusing him with. The Ananias of Acts 9, for instance, who led Saul/Paul to Jesus, is a different man. This Ananias of Acts 5 is dead by the time Saul converted on the road to Damascus in the house of (a different) Ananias.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:53 pm.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Satan