Board index Islam

a discussion about Jesus's crucifixion

Postby Significance » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:49 pm

I'm a ex muslim atheist but i lean towards the claim that Jesus was indeed crucified, but as some of u might already know. Muslims claim the opposite that he wasn't

These: https://www.reddit.com/user/SignificanceOk7071/comments/s1msyf/the_objections/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Are some objections to me saying Jesus was crucified and using the gospels as historical evidence. He showed me contradictions in them and claimed since they are filled with contradictions using them does not suffice as they're validity is in question due to contradictions. As i'm not very well read on christianity i'd like to hear how you guys would respond to these arguments.
Significance

Re: a discussion about Jesus's crucifixion

Postby jimwalton » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:51 pm

Regardless of what you think of the Bible, there is evidence from contemporary historians that Jesus was indeed crucified.

• Tacitus: "Nero charged and tortured some people ... popularly known as ‘Christians’. The founder of the sect, Christus, had been put to death by the governor of Judea, Pontius Pilate, when Tiberius was emperor."
  • Thallus: "...it was at the season of the Paschal full moon that Christ died.”
  • Josephus: "...Pilate, at the suggesting of the principal men among us, had condemned him to the cross,"
  • Ignatius: "[Jesus] was crucified and died under Pontius Pilate."
  • Lucian of Samosata alludes to Jesus as "“…the man who was crucified in Palestine."
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Significance » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:21 pm

The muslim opinion is that even though it appeared so that Jesus was crucified, he really wasn't, and somehow an other person was crucified who resembeled Jesus so much that not even his mother could tell that it wasn't him. Contemporary sources are correct in that a person who resembled Jesus was crucified, but they were unable to see that the person wasn't Jesus. The evidence for that Jesus wasn't crucified is the Quran. This arguement says, to but it short:

• It looked like Jesus was crucified.
  • Jesus wasn't crucified.

It is impossible to disprove this. It is like saying: this fruit has all the attributes of an apple (looks, tastes, smells, feels like an apple), but it is by substance an orange. If you point out that it doesn't look like an orange, the other person will respond: It is an orange that looks like an apple.

Likewise, a muslim can say that the attributes of the event point towards the crucifixion of Jesus, but the substance is that Jesus wasn't crucified.
Significance

Postby jimwalton » Sun May 15, 2022 5:43 pm

The problem with this position ("opinion") is that all evidence is to the contrary, and there is NO evidence to support the opinion.

Your analogy about the apple and orange is a good one. It can't possibly be that (1) everyone is so stupid, and (2) reality is so deceptive.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun May 15, 2022 5:43 pm.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Islam