Board index Islam

why don't christians, jews and muslims get along?

Postby throw Away » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:01 pm

It doesn't make sense to me. Having been born into a christian family before converting to my current faith and also currently studying islam/the Quran I fail to see why the three religions hate each other so much. You all believe in the same god, the god of abraham, you all agree on the same order of events happening and the same stories like the flood, adam and eve, the prophet Yusuf (or Joseph) and moses. (peace be to him)

So why then do all three religions not get along?
throw Away

Re: why don't christians, jews and muslims get along?

Postby jimwalton » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:02 pm

In none any of the communities I have lived in has there been a problem with Jews, Christians, and Muslims getting along. We have gotten along beautifully—good friends with each other and very tolerant of our religious differences.

One of my friends who was formerly a Muslim but is now a Christian made the comment, however: "Wherever the Muslims are, they are in conflict with their neighbors." Take that as you may.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Throw Away » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:05 pm

I've never understood why some Muslims choose to behave that way. In surah al baqarah (i forgot the exact verses), it specifically says that those who are lost can't be changed because they've turned their backs on god, and god in turned sealed their hearts and minds and that there's essentially no point in doing anything with/to them.
Throw Away

Postby jimwalton » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:08 pm

Craig Evans and Jeremiah Johnston, in their book "Jesus and the Jihadis," say (and again, you have to weigh this yourself as to its truth): "64% of the contents of the Qur’an is driven by the question of what to do with Kafir: unbelievers (not just defined as those unaccepting of Islam, but as 'evil, disgusting, and the lowest form of life'). The Kafir have no human or civil rights. Any non-Muslim can be killed, sold into slavery, sexually abused, raped, mistreated, dismembered, or mutilated.

"In total there are over 100 verses in the Qur’an enjoining Muslims to fight, kill, torture, rape, pillage, and conquer in the name of Allah against the Kafir."

Maybe you know better than I, but possibly there are some verses in the Qur'an that would encourage the way of peace, as you have mentioned, but there are also verses in the Qur'an encouraging hostility to non-Muslims. Maybe it depends what kind of person you are or what kind of Muslim you are as to whether you live in peace or hostility to others. It's no different with Christianity. Many Christians are peaceful and peace-loving, but some Christians, contrary to the teachings of the Bible, are nasty, judgmental, and hostile people. (Shrug my shoulders)
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Throw Away » Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:19 pm

I haven't read through the entire Quran so i can't say with 100℅ certainty about violence. But most verses to do with non believers usually says that their punishment will come upon their deaths and on the last day, when good people and believers will get paradise and the true best of the best get jannah and the rest get hell.

There are some verses I've seen so far referring to unbelievers being killed but it never specifically said non Muslims as that particular section was in reference to Noah's flood.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:19 pm.
Throw Away

Return to Islam