Board index Extraterrestrial Life and Aliens

Life on other planets, visitations from outer space, and theology.

Do you believe in extraterrestrial life forms?

Postby Punny Penny » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:26 pm

Do you believe in extraterrestrial lifeforms? Considering how big the universe is..
Punny Penny

Re: Do you believe in extraterrestrial life forms?

Postby jimwalton » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:33 pm

I don't believe in extraterrestrial lifeforms, assuming you mean life on other planets. By every indication we have from science, the earth is unique as a life-supporting rock. We also know that the parameters required to support life are extremely (some would even say miraculously) narrow, making the earth an astoundingly "against the odds" place for life to have actually succeeded. I, at this point in time, don't believe in extraterrestrial life forms.

In addition, though, if such life forms were ever discovered, it wouldn't affect my faith or my belief system in the least. God's sovereignty and power are certainly not limited to this small planet.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Punny Penny » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:09 pm

So, in other words: The fact that you hold faith in the Bible doesn't affect your belief (or rather disbelief) in aliens? Would an 'atheist version' of you say the same?
Punny Penny

Postby jimwalton » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:41 pm

My study of science and of the Bible influences me to conclude that alien life is exceptionally unlikely. My faith in God has nothing to do with the question of whether or not there is extraterrestrial life.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:41 pm.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Extraterrestrial Life and Aliens