Board index Heaven and Hell

What we know about heaven and hell

What exactly happens right after you die

Postby Lobster » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:30 pm

What exactly happens right after you die according to Christianity?

What do you see? Do you go straight to heaven? Are there any bible passages which talk about this?
Lobster

Re: What exactly happens right after you die

Postby jimwalton » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:33 pm

There are actually several different perspectives. Some Christians believe that you enter soul sleep until the resurrection, when we are all brought forth (raised), judged, and sent to our eternal destiny.

A second perspective would be that we all go to a temporary place, some to a "heaven" kind of existence and some to a "hell" kind of existence, and we exist there until the final resurrection when there is a final judgment and we are all brought forth (raised), judged, and sent to our eternal destiny—the real heaven or the real hell.

A third perspective would be that those who belong to God to to Heaven, and those who do not belong to God cease to exist (annihilation).

I subscribe to the second perspective, but that's just me.

For believers to be absent from the body is to be present with Christ, which Paul considered gain (Phil. 1:23 and 21).

Christ taught on the reality of hell. He told a parable speaking of the unbelieving dead being tormented in hell immediately upon death (Luke 16:19-31).

Therefore, it's my perspective that believers are in the presence of Christ and unbelievers are in hell immediately after death. There is no indication ever in Scripture that there is any delay between physical death and eternal fate. Even if hell is later cast into the Lake of Fire, and if "Abraham's bosom" is merged with heaven, the point is the same: it is appointed unto man once to die, and after that the judgment. To be absent from the body is to be experiencing eternity, and there are only two choices there: with God, or separated from Him.

At the final resurrection both those with Christ and the unbeliever who is in hell will be given new bodies before the final judgment (Rev. 20:11-15). The unbeliever will be judged according to his/her works and cast into the Lake of Fire where there will be torment day and night forever and ever (Rev. 20:10). The believer will find his/her name written in the book of life and enter into the new heavens and new earth (Rev 21).
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Full of Swagg » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:25 am

I've never heard of the 2nd interpretation having "temporary" versions - more so you go to Heaven or Hell and, at the end of days, everyone living and dead is resurrected and judged. Those dead will have their judgment reaffirmed, those alive will be judged and sent to their respective destinations.
Full of Swagg

Postby jimwalton » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:32 am

The second version comes mainly from Luke 16.19-31. You'll notice that they both go to a place of the dead (vv. 16-23). The rich man could actually see Lazarus, though there's no indication Laz could see Mr. Moneybucks. Laz was in comfort (Abraham's bosom, never identified or described as "Heaven") and Mr. Moneybags was in torment in "Hades."

It is believed, by those who hold this position, that at the end of time there will be a resurrection (Rev. 20.5-6) and these will be taken to Heaven; at the end, also, Hades will be thrown into the Lake of Fire (Rev. 20.14)—their final destination.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Full of Swagg » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:13 pm

Interesting.

Not that it really matter much at the end of the day, huh? A second, an hour and an eternity blend together when forever is in front of you. And, we all believe in the resurrection.
Full of Swagg

Postby Reconnoiter » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:26 pm

Consider this perspective and tell me your thoughts.

When we die, we are also released from the confines of time. So, if you consider this, everyone who ever existed could enter heaven or hell at the same immediate moment because we are free from time. For example, when I die, I will walk into heaven at the exact same moment that my mother does, my grandfathers, even Moses, Abraham, and Noah will all walk into heaven with us at the exact same moment.

This can be a sad idea for many people because they like to believe their passed loved ones are "looking down on them with a smile". We can talk more if you'd like!
Reconnoiter

Postby jimwalton » Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:20 am

I agree perfectly with this idea that we all enter Heaven simultaneously because we're in a timeless state. I think C.S. Lewis communicated the same concept in his Chronicles of Narnia, where the children who had died at different times arrived at Narnia simultaneously, but I'll admit that my memory is a bit shaky on The Last Battle—it's been a while since I read it.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:20 am.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Heaven and Hell