Board index The End of the World

Everybody's interested, but nobody cares? Endless theories, wild speculation, and many ancient prophecies. What does the Bible say? Ask what you want.

What is the order of events in the end time?

Postby Pixie Dust » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:26 pm

I was wondering what the order of events is supposed to be? I hear people saying "Jesus is coming soon" and I don't know if that's supposed to mean the Revelation's end times are coming or if that's a different thing. Can someone educate me?
Pixie Dust

Re: What is the order of events in the end time?

Postby jimwalton » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:35 pm

The prophecies about Jesus' return and the end times can be very cryptic and quite a jigsaw puzzle to assemble. As you might guess, there are differences of opinion about the exact order. According to the Bible, the end times will be characterized by a great falling away from religion. Natural disasters will increase, and human unrest will result in a lot of wars. At the same time, a political and spiritual ruler will arise and bring unity to much of the world. The oppression of Christians will break into outright hostility and martyrdom for many. There will be military action by many nations against Israel. Sometime during all of this, Jesus will return, bring all of his people to himself, and eventually (depending on one's interpretation of the timing), set up a reign on earth. After his reign, all hell will break loose, there will be universal and even cosmic conflict. The Devil and all who side with him will be defeated; God and all who side with him will see victory, and eternity will be ushered in. All people will be judged and held accountable for how they lived their lives, with heaven and hell as the consequence.

The timing of all this is unknown. People who say "Jesus is coming soon" are expressing an opinion that things are getting pretty bad, and also expressing a wish that he does come soon.

It's hotly debated whether Jesus is coming to gather his people to himself before the mess, during it, or after it.

I hope that helps. I know it was general, but it's hard to be specific without blatting out an opinion rather than what we absolutely KNOW from the Bible.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Sparkling » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:37 am

> and eventually (depending on one's interpretation of the timing), set up a reign on earth.

That's one I haven't heard before, but you're definitely right that Revelation is a difficult Book to read.

> All people will be judged and held accountable for how they lived their lives, with heaven and hell as the consequence.

This is not Biblical. Jesus was already held accountable for how we live/lived our lives. We are judged by our acceptance of Christ the Savior.

> People who say "Jesus is coming soon" are expressing an opinion that things are getting pretty bad, and also expressing a wish that he does come soon.

"Jesus is coming soon" is not a commentary on the state of affairs of the world, but a reminder to ourselves and others that Jesus will return when we least expect it, and that we should always keep our minds on Christ.
Sparkling

Postby jimwalton » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:25 pm

> set up a reign on earth.

This comes from Rev. 20.1-6, and Ezk. 37.15-28 (esp.22-27), and other places.

> "All people will be judged and held accountable for how they lived their lives,..." This is not biblical.

I get this from 2 Cor. 5.10; Mt. 25.41ff.; Rom. 2.6; Heb. 4.12-13. We are saved by grace, but judged according to our works. You can also look at Mt. 7.16, 20; 10.32ff.; Jn. 15.6; Rev. 2.23; 20.12; 22.12.

> "Jesus is coming soon" is not a commentary on the state of affairs of the world, but a reminder to ourselves and others that Jesus will return when we least expect it, and that we should always keep our minds on Christ.

That's true, but Christians are also hoping that he's coming soon because things are getting so bad. All these shootings in America, bombs in Paris, murderous ISIS, the rise of skeptical and hostile atheism, and the decline of faith in America convinces many Christians that the return of Christ must be soon. But you are also right—it is a way to remind ourselves to be ready at all times, and to fix our eyes on Jesus.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:25 pm.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to The End of the World