Board index The Holy Spirit

What is this, some kind of mystical presence? An "it" or a "He"? Let's talk.

What does it mean to quench the Spirit?

Postby Caterpillar » Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:56 pm

what does it mean to quench the spirit?
Caterpillar

Re: What does it mean to quench the Spirit?

Postby jimwalton » Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:02 pm

Paul is talking about treating legitimate prophecies and valuable spiritual teaching with contempt. (see 1 Thessalonians 5.20). A.T. Robertson writes,
"Today, as then, there are two extremes about spiritual gifts (cold indifference to wild excess). It is not hard to put out the fire of spiritual fervor and power."
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Caterpillar » Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:27 pm

> It is not hard to put out the fire of spiritual fervor and power."

are you sure about that?

1 Corinthians 4

20For the kingdom of God does not consist in talk but in power. 21What do you wish? Shall I come to you with a rod, or with love in a spirit of gentleness?

Acts 4

19But Peter and John answered them, “Whether it is right in the sight of God to listen to you rather than to God, you must judge, 20for we cannot but speak of what we have seen and heard.”

1 Corinthians 2:4

My message and my preaching were not with persuasive words of wisdom, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power,

2 Corinthians 10:8

For even if I boast somewhat excessively about the authority the Lord gave us for building you up rather than tearing you down, I will not be ashamed.

Matthew 10:20

For it is not you who speak, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.

Acts 6

8And Stephen, full of grace and power, was doing great wonders and signs among the people. 9Then some of those who belonged to the synagogue of the Freedmen (as it was called), and of the Cyrenians, and of the Alexandrians, and of those from Cilicia and Asia, rose up and disputed with Stephen. 10But they could not withstand the wisdom and the Spirit with which he was speaking. 11Then they secretly instigated men who said, “We have heard him speak blasphemous words against Moses and God.” 12And they stirred up the people and the elders and the scribes, and they came upon him and seized him and brought him before the council, 13and they set up false witnesses who said, “This man never ceases to speak words against this holy place and the law, 14for we have heard him say that this Jesus of Nazareth will destroy this place and will change the customs that Moses delivered to us.” 15And gazing at him, all who sat in the council saw that his face was like the face of an angel.

you're not gonna extinguish my fire, for I know by which I have been baptized into which is holy spirit and fire...
Caterpillar

Postby jimwalton » Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:27 pm

I am sure about it. Strong Christians like Peter, John, Paul, and Stephen (and apparently yourself—and myself also) were undauntable, but the typical Christian today can be rather weak and easily compromised. I observe that many Christians are lacking biblical teaching, blending Christianity with the world, compromising in their morals, and quite squelching of the Spirit in their souls. The Church is in many places weak, compromised, and in too many cases apostate.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Caterpillar » Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:10 pm

sounds like your describing those without the Root in them, thus they fall away.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:10 pm.
Caterpillar

Return to The Holy Spirit