Board index Noah's Ark & the Flood

Re: The Flood wasn't global?

Postby By George » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:37 pm

Yet the story clearly implies global.
By George

Postby jimwalton » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:38 pm

Yeah, I agree that it seems to imply global. But global to me doesn't make sense on every level. (1) That's not the way God works in terms of the kinds of miracles he does, (2) there are biblical indicators that "global" doesn't mean "global," but is hyperbole, and (3) it doesn't make any sense scientifically.

I would say that it isn't that they got it wrong, but they told it accurately based on their world view.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby By George » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:42 pm

Still is wrong. So you are required to wonder what else they got wrong.
By George

Postby jimwalton » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:56 pm

Our business is to present what is timeless in the particular language of our age. If we don't speak to the language of our audience, communication doesn't take place. 50 years ago, if I had told you I was I was gay, in that American culture, you would interpret that I was happy. Now, if I tell you I am gay, in this American culture, you would interpret that I'm homosexual. That's just a 50 year difference. Now let's drop back 20,000 years and punt. God says to Noah, I'm going to flood the world. What is the language of the age? The language of the age is that as far as Noah can see and even a little beyond is going to be wiped out. Yep, and that's what happened. Now fast forward "50" years. "World" means something completely different to us than it did to them. So if 50 years ago I said I was gay, did I get it wrong? No, the definition changed in a way that I couldn't foresee. But there was nothing wrong with me using that word. That's what it meant, and it was legitimate communication.

I'll make something up to try to make the point. Suppose "God" is talking to you about our solar system. Well, you know what our solar system is: 8 planets orbiting a yellow dwarf star. Has God communicated poorly to you? Of course not; you know exactly what he is talking about. But suppose 200 years from now an astrophysicist discovers that our solar system is actually a larger system including realities (of which we now know nothing) extending light years out beyond Neptune, which may include what will then be called clibuses and nicotrons and even celespheres. Should God have told you about those? Should he have included those in his message? Are you kidding? You would have been thoroughly confused, not had a clue what he was talking about, and it would nave been sheer nonsense. So is it "still wrong" for God to just talk to you about the solar system. No, if he uses that word, you understand him. Beyond that, and beyond your time is of no consequence to you or the judgment that God is bringing to your solar system (if that is the message). Because he doesn't bring the celespheres into the picture doesn't mean God was lying to you or that it's "still wrong." That's what I mean.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby jimwalton » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:13 am

Thank you for your comment, Artemkiev. It is REALLY curious that flood stories with similar elements appear all over the globe, even with a similar name for Noah. They are found in as disparate places as Greece, Guatemala, Hawaii, China, Lithuania, and Egypt. At the same time there is no geological evidence of a flood—also very curious.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Noah's Ark & the Flood