Board index Bible

What is the Bible? Why do we say it's God's Word? How did we get it? What makes it so special?
Forum rules
This site is for dialogue, not diatribe. And, by the way, you have to be at least 13 years old to participate. Plus normal things: no judging, criticizing, name-calling, flaming, or bullying. No put-downs, etc. You know the drill.

Why does the Bible exist?

Postby Unsub » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:01 pm

Something I have wondered for some time is why we have The Bible. My understanding is that we are created by Him, which means he made our brains.

Why did he not put his teachings into our brains so we would have no doubt of how he wants us to live our lives? Why is there a physical book that explains everything that we should already know?
Unsub

Re: Why does the Bible exist?

Postby jimwalton » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:14 pm

The Bible accomplishes several benefits.

1. First of all, it exists to reveal God to us in history. It is the interpretation of history by its theological truths. In the process we learn everything about God that is necessary for us to know.

2. The Bible is the written contract between God and humanity. It tells us all about the party of the first part (God), the party of the second part (humans), what God promises to do for us (the contract), and the benefits of compliance and the detriments of defiance. Just like any of us would say when things are really important: "I want that in writing."

3. It provides an objective benchmark for all of us to access on an equal plane. If it were all just in our minds, just imagine the distortions, discrepancies, and problem areas. And if you want God to preserve it in us flawlessly, we become more robotic than human, to great disadvantage.

Our brains are vibrant, creative, flexible, dynamic things. For God to freeze them to put his word in their takes away the elements that make our brains work. A better plan is to write it down. Get it on paper for all to read.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:14 pm.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Bible