Board index Bible

What is the Bible? Why do we say it's God's Word? How did we get it? What makes it so special?
Forum rules
This site is for dialogue, not diatribe. And, by the way, you have to be at least 13 years old to participate. Plus normal things: no judging, criticizing, name-calling, flaming, or bullying. No put-downs, etc. You know the drill.

The Bible makes mythical and impossible claims

Postby Marky Mark » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:08 pm

PLEASE READ. 1. The Bible is to be taken literally. 2. Those in opposition to my claim, must prove that these claims do not discredit the Bible. 3. The existence of a God proves these claims, however the existence of God has not been proven so he can't be used to validate these claims. 4. An example of a claim I am speaking of would be the serpent speaking to Eve in GE 3:1-5 or the parting of the Red Sea.

Let me say first, as an agnostic atheist my intentions in this argument is not to back you into a corner, this isn't a "gotcha" question. If someone can prove me wrong in the claim that the absurdities in the Bible do not discredit it, I'll concede 100%. Now on to my case.

First. In today's world, we have no evidence of serpents talking, this has never recent recorded history, there is no record of a serpent speaking human language. So it is not illogical to assume that a book written thousands of years ago that makes the claim, a serpent and woman verbally communicated, is inaccurate.

Second. God has the ability to make a serpent speak right? Sure, but other than the Bible there is no other account of this happening again in history, EVER. Because of the fact that these claims have no historical precedent they actively discredit the Bible as being a credible source.
Marky Mark

Re: The Bible makes mythical and impossible claims

Postby jimwalton » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:29 am

Claim #1: The Bible is to be taken literally.

False. The Bible is a rich and deep literary collection containing music, poetry, metaphor, allegory, archetypes, parable, hyperbole, metonymy, irony, simile, and many other literary forms, as well as genres such as prayer, prophecy, blessing, covenant language, legal language, etc. "Literally" quickly becomes a word with very little meaning or helpfulness. If a poet says the trees of the field will clap their hands and the mountains will jump for joy, is that literal? Of course not, it's poetry. If a man prays, "God, kill all those people", we may all understand that his prayer is inappropriate, and is not blessed by God, but is it literal? Well, how does that word even apply? And how does it apply to archetype, allegory, parable, and all the others? It's a word that should be dropped from the discussion because it doesn't take us anywhere except to the Land of Misunderstanding.

It's better to think that the Bible should be taken the way the author intended it to be taken. If he was using hyperbole, we're to take it that way. So also allegorically, historically, parabolic, poetic, etc. Our quest is to understand the intent of the author. In that case we'll take the Bible *seriously*, but "literally" doesn't take us anywhere.

> The serpent

The Hebrew word for serpent is nahash, which is indeed the common word for snake, but it also possibly means "able to stand upright." There are all kinds of verbal possibilities here. For instance, nahash is the same root as nehoset, which means "bronze." So the shiny, upright snake in Number 21.9 is the same root: it was a literal thing, but a spiritual symbol. "Snake" could also be a word play, because the Hebrew word for "deceive" is very close to it, and is the same root as for magic and divination. Snakes in the ancient world were very much associated with spiritual powers, magic, and cultic rituals. So what if this "thing" (the nhs) was a spiritual power, represented to the woman as a bright creature, speaking "spiritual wisdom", and yet was deceiving her—the word for snake?

Last bumped by Anonymous on Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:29 am.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Bible