Board index Bible

What is the Bible? Why do we say it's God's Word? How did we get it? What makes it so special?
Forum rules
This site is for dialogue, not diatribe. And, by the way, you have to be at least 13 years old to participate. Plus normal things: no judging, criticizing, name-calling, flaming, or bullying. No put-downs, etc. You know the drill.

Who actually wrote the bible?

Postby Juvenile » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:59 pm

I used to hear that God told Moses to write the bible, but I was also told it was not true. I've later been told that God wrote it and sent it to Earth, and also Learned that the Priest of a Church wrote the New Testament. I was also told no one knows who wrote it. Who actually wrote the bible? Maybe it's in the bible itself but I'm not sure I haven't got to that part yet.
Juvenile

Re: Who actually wrote the bible?

Postby jimwalton » Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:56 am

The Bible was written by at least 40 different human authors from 3 separate continents over the span of 1300 years. These authors came from all walks of life and all socio-economic levels. The human authors wrote as the Holy Spirit "carried them along" (2 Pet. 1.20-21), and therefore God is the source (2 Timothy 3.16).

Moses traditionally wrote the first 5 books of the Bible, though many scholars today doubt that. I happen to think there is sufficient evidence to consider Moses the author of those 5 books, or at least the authority behind them (similar to if I were to write a book of Abe Lincoln quotes; I would be the "author" but Lincoln would be the authority of the words themselves).

It's simply not true that "God wrote it and sent it to Earth." Nor is there any evidence that a priest of the Church write the NT.

> I was also told no one knows who wrote it.

There are many skeptics and minimalists who deny all evidence at hand to conclude this. While some of the authors are clearly anonymous (like the authors of 1 & 2 Samuel, 1 & 2 kings, 1 & 2 Chronicles, Esther, Job, Joshua, Judges, and others), there are many others where the traditional authors are the most reasonable conclusion, and some, like the books of Paul, that are for all intents and purposes proven.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:56 am.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Bible