Board index Assorted Bible Questions

Assorted and general Bible questions that really don't fit any of the other categories

The point of worship seems circular

Postby Pug » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:34 pm

What is the point of worship as it seems pretty circular to me?

Worship seems circular to me: God created humans so that they could worship him for creating them
Pug

Re: The point of worship seems circular

Postby jimwalton » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:37 pm

It seems circular to you because you're thinking about it wrongly. God didn't create us so we could worship Him. He created us because He wanted more children (Rom. 8.16-18, 29-30; John 1.14 – Jesus was God’s only begotten, but (v. 12) he wanted more children; Heb. 2.10). We worship Him not because He created us but because He is worthy of worship. There's nothing circular about it.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Pog » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:53 pm

Thats another way of saying he created people to worship him, some parents have kids to act as slaves and it seems the same with god
Pog

Postby jimwalton » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:56 pm

It's not another way of saying that. You're seeing it all wrong and thinking about it incorrectly. Just because some parents have kids to act as slaves doesn't mean that most do or that it's right. What it means is that some people are sick and evil people. For you to automatically attribute that motive and action to God is quite loco. God created people to love them and bless them. They, in turn, worship God because He is worthy of praise. This reality has nothing to do with your distortion.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Pog » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:12 pm

In what way am I seeing it wrong?

"God created people to love them and bless them they in turn worship God because he is worthy of praise"

But if you don't praise him you go to hell,
Pog

Postby jimwalton » Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:41 pm

> In what way am I seeing it wrong?

Because you affirmed what the OP said, that God had created people to worship Him, which is incorrect.

And then you related it to people who have children so as to enslave them, which first of all is demented, and second of all is nothing like God.

And now, out of nowhere, you raise the issue of Hell. Possibly you don't know that the issue of Hell is very controversial and highly debated in Christian circles. The unfairness of Hell is nowhere taught in the Bible. Instead, what the Bible is firm about is that God is necessarily fair, and each person will get exactly what is fair and right and that they should get. That's where we Christians stake our claim, and if you have a problem with that, I'm left to assume you have problems with the whole concepts of justice and fairness, which is a problem in itself.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:41 pm.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Assorted Bible Questions