Board index Assorted Bible Questions

Assorted and general Bible questions that really don't fit any of the other categories

I need answers for my spiritual path

Postby Anakin » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:08 am

I seek answers for my spiritual path:

I was born in a family where my mother was Jewish (nation-wise) my father was not and they were both atheists in their worldview.

When I started my search for truth when I was 20 I was confused and I am still confused now: seems I am between Skylla and Charybdis in a sense that when I choose Christianity, I may betray my (Jewish) nation and commit idolatry, which is one of the worst sins in Judaism, on the other hand when I choose Judaism, I may reject the true Messiah. I don't agree with Atheism, so this not one of the options I am considering. A spiritual counselor saw, in 2008, Buddhism as my path, but now the concept of re-incarnation seems inhumane to me: otherwise Buddhism is more of a set of spiritual exercises for the mind, it does not talk about God at all, but it neither denies neither states His existence...

I know in the end, I am the one who has to make the choice, but some pointers from you may help me.

I am not a native English speaker, so maybe there are some grammar errors in my message...
Anakin

Re: I need answers for my spiritual path

Postby jimwalton » Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:38 pm

It's good to hear from you, and I'm glad to talk. What you are asking, though, doesn't require a biblical scholar. You are asking a family systems question requesting counseling, but I'm glad to help you.

In the end, each of us must follow the path that we think subscribes to the truth. Otherwise we are being false to ourselves in every way possible, and even false to those around us because we are living a lie. I know that the prospect of rejection by family is very real and changes the dynamic of life, but even if we are "secret Christians" because we don't want to tell our parents, what we are gaining is some peace in the home but it's at the sacrifice of integrity—a tough choice, to be sure.

You said that your mom is Jewish in name only, but really an atheist in reality—which is somewhat common for many Jewish people, I understand. But from your description, if you are to choose Christianity (and betray your Jewish nation and commit idolatry), I don't see where your mom can authentically object since she rejects Judaism herself, except as a label. How can she realistically object to your rejection of Judaism when she rejects it as well?

Buddhism, if I may say, is not a religion but rather a philosophy of life. They're basically atheists (there is no deity in Buddhism) who advocate a path of simplicity, meditation, and enlightenment through life. It's an extremely complex system of rules and "wisdom"; I'm not sure any Buddhist actually knows it all, and it's quite impossible to follow it all. It is, in the end, a path of peace but ultimately (if one is truly trying to follow it) a source of frustration.

Judaism seems to me to be a religious system that somehow fails to provide ultimate answers. Their sacrificial system, now defunct, fell short of truly helping people. Their 613 laws seem impossible to keep, and since many pertain to the Temple, sacrifices, the priesthood, and special rules, their applicability to our day is tenuous at best. Your mom claims to be a Jew, but she doesn't follow the core tenet: Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength.

Christianity, in my opinion, answers all the concerns. It's a path of peace and enlightenment, but it also provides access to God through Jesus. It is based on grace, not rules. It sees humanity as both noble and cruel. It admits the reality of suffering but sees redemption from it. It is a faith system that encourages us to use our minds to the fullest, our emotions as appropriate, and our actions in accordance. It advocates morality, goodness, science, rationality, logic, beauty, kindness, forgiveness, tolerance, and love.

I'm glad to discuss any of this with you, or to talk about anything you wish. Thanks for making contact.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:38 pm.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Assorted Bible Questions