Board index Assorted Bible Questions

Assorted and general Bible questions that really don't fit any of the other categories

Do holiness and purity go by hand?

Postby Planet » Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:40 am

The question appeared out of nowhere in my head basically I was thinking about when Moses face shined after being with God which became the answer to a question I had. Yet, I felt that even though I’m sure about my God being the one true God there was another question that popped up which is: would God have other intentions with us that He didn’t mentioned and wants to keep it a secret from us?” Basically a “sike, you thought, got you” type of motive. Anyway back to the question, I’m asking to see if I can find a proper/suitable answer. God bless
Planet

Re: Do holiness and purity go by hand?

Postby jimwalton » Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:25 pm

The basic idea in holiness is being distinct because someone or something is separated out from others. God is holy because He is separate from all other beings/things. He has no peer (no other gods). He is not part of creation (pantheism is not true). He is not just a perfect human-kind-of-being (which is what the mythological gods were). God is completely separate, distinct, and unique, and therefore "holy."

That means that holiness also has ideas of purity in it. God doesn't participate in anything that's wrong, evil, or bad. He doesn't sin. Because of that separation, the consequence is that He is also pure. His ethical character is totally pure, and that's part of His holiness.

As far as we are concerned, Leviticus 11.45; 19.2; 20.7; et al. and 1 Peter 1.15 et al. tell us we should be holy as God is holy. The meaning is the same for us: We should be separated out from the world, distinct from the way other people live and think. We should be pure in our morals. We should have a single-minded dedication: Jesus Christ.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:25 pm.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Assorted Bible Questions