Board index Assorted Bible Questions

Assorted and general Bible questions that really don't fit any of the other categories

Re: Why should I stick with my faith?

Postby Nic J » Sun May 21, 2017 4:05 pm

We believe in one God as Christians, right? So we're not monotheistic? The father, son and Holy Spirit are all one? We sing songs about Yahweh and jehovah ... we don't beileve in that? Don't those names mean God? We believe in the Old Testament as christians.

So Jewish people aren't going to heaven, then? Because they beileve in Good works and don't beileve in Jesus, and that's what the gospel is focused on ..

How does one have " great faith "? I want that.

Was it easier for people in bible times to have more faith?

I wanna say yes to all three questions but I don't always live like my anwser is yes to all 3 .. I try but don't always succeed at it .. ooops
Nic J

Postby jimwalton » Sun May 21, 2017 4:31 pm

Hello again. And the fun continues. I hope you’re having a good day. Cloudy with a chance of meatballs here.

“We believe in one God as Christians, right?” Absolutely. We believe in one God, maker of heaven and earth.

“So we’re not monotheistic?” It’s the opposite—we ARE monotheistic. “The father, son, and Holy Spirit are all one?” Yes. We believe that God exists as one essence (one deity) who manifests Himself as three distinct persons—the Father, Son, and Spirit. But “manifests” isn’t really the best choice of term, because it’s not just that God shows Himself in three different ways, it’s that the one God exists as 3 persons. The best analogy I’ve heard (though they all fall short) is: suppose I were going to write a book, and I make myself the main character in the book. The character in the book thinks like me, talks like me, acts like me—well, he IS me. And yet he’s NOT me. I’m out here, and the character in the book is, well, in the book. So he’s me, but he’s different from me. We’re both the same “Jim,” but we’re also separate and distinct. In the book I could even make the “Jim” in the book talk to the Jim who is writing the book, or vice versa.

“Don’t those names (Yahweh and Jehovah) mean God?” Yep, they do. They are tough to translate, but they are generally translated as “I AM.” So when God in the OT identified Himself as YHWH, He was basically claiming to be the self-existent one. And when Jesus made all his “I AM” statements (“I am the bread of life,” “I am the light of the world,” “I am the resurrection and the life,” etc.), he was claiming to be the great I AM.

“We believe in the Old Testament as Christians.” Absolutely. The whole Bible, OT & NT, is God-breathed.

“So Jewish people aren’t going to heaven, then?” I’m convinced they are not. They have deliberately rejected Jesus, and they are counting on good works to assure their salvation. They have missed the truth.

“How does one have ‘great faith’?” There is no secret to great faith. It’s just a total devotion, a constant seeking of God, and grounding yourself in Him. He will change you, strengthen you, guide you, build you. You give your life to him, no holding back. That’s all He asks. You don’t have to be great, just firm in that relationship.

By the way, I want it, too. I mean, think about it: you can KNOW GOD. You can have a relationship with the CREATOR of the universe. Think about it: the most powerful, loving being ever wants to be friends and wants to guide us through life. All we have to do is give our lives to Him. Are you kidding???? I would trade the world for that. That’s easily worth giving my life to. That’s the biggest and best thing ever. Who would want to hold back if given that opportunity? So I go for it. Pay any price. Do whatever is necessary. I WANT THAT.

You know, you become what you give your life to. I WANT GOD. I’m not going to become God, but I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection. I will—honestly—give ANYTHING for it.

“I wanna say yes to all three questions, but I don’t always live like my answer is yes to all 3.” Then you need to make a change. This is the best…thing…EVER. None of us every succeeds always at it—we all have our weaknesses, shortcomings, and issues. All of us. We’re not perfect and never will be. But, oh boy, I want God so badly I can taste it. And I have found that God seriously rewards those who deeply seek Him. But don’t get me wrong: it’s not an easy or a straight path. Sometimes when seeking God things get worse, and harder. It’s not like it’s easy street—that’s not what I mean when I say God rewards the seeking. I think I told you I went through some terrible times of doubt, anger, and depression—so much about spiritual things. And God didn’t just make all things sunny again. I had to show Him I meant it. For three years I fought to find Him. Three years of horror—ugh. It was awful, but I learned so much, and then He started slowly pulling me out of it and teaching me more. I learned this: Nothing worthwhile is easy.

Let’s keep talking, because I just pushed all kinds of buttons for you and raised lots of questions about what I’m saying.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Nic J » Tue May 23, 2017 3:47 pm

Why do we have so much names for God and why do they translate into something else?

How does God reveal himself in those 3 ways to us ?

So the Holy Spirit I get. But the father and son ?

So all the Jews in that Hitler killed? Went to hell?

Giving your life to God is not easy ...

What do I change? How do I do this?

I am not sure if these are the questions you were thinking of?!
Nic J

Postby jimwalton » Tue May 23, 2017 4:03 pm

“Why do we have so many names for God?” In the olden days, the power of a god was partially determined by how many names he had. Names were also descriptive of all the things the god could do. And so, in the Bible, God has many names, because He was worshipped as the God above all gods (false gods), was more powerful, and could be described in so many ways. The main one is YHWH (“I AM who I AM”—a personal God who specializes in relationships), and his second one is Elohim (powerful). Then when things happen in history, people give God other names, like Jehovah Jireh (of Yahweh Yireh, “My God provides”), or Yahweh Sabaoth (Lord of Hosts, or Almighty God)—like that.

“Why do they translate into something else?” Because the Old Testament was written in Hebrew, and we have to translate it into English for us to understand it. They have actual meanings in Hebrew, sort of like Native American names, that translate into phrases like “Great Tree” or “Sitting Bull”.

“How does God reveal himself in those 3 ways to us?” You mean the trinity? God the Father is the imminent one, meaning we never get to see him, and he operates from “heaven”. Jesus is the one who appeared in the flesh, and we got to see him and touch him. The Holy Spirit is the one who lives inside of us.

“So all the Jews that Hitler killed—went to hell?” Yes. They didn’t acknowledge Jesus as Lord. Just because someone is devoted in their religion doesn’t mean that what they believe is true. Jesus revealed Himself as the Messiah spoken of in the Jewish Scriptures, and as the Son of the God of the Old Testament, and as YHWH Himself. Anyone who rejects that, even if he or she is a very religious person, has denied the truth and rebelled against God’s true revelation.

“Giving your life to God is not easy.” You are so right. In ways it’s the easiest thing to do to go to heaven. Just receive God’s gift and then live in love and appreciation of that gift for the rest of your life. You don’t have to be smart, pretty, talented, rich, or enlightened. You just need to do it, and anyone can, from a young child to an old person, male or female, slave or free, civilized or not, educated or not. Simple, and universal. On the other hand, it’s the hardest thing ever—give my whole life???? Everything? My thoughts, attitudes, behavior, values, goals—everything? Yep. And that’s so hard. And then to keep it up (like a good marriage), no matter how we feel or what’s going on in life? Yep. That’s what love and commitment are.

“What do I change? How do I do this?” Since I don’t know you, except from our exchange of letters here, I can’t say what you have to change. You have to pray about that yourself and let God show you. You have to read the Bible and let God tell you how. If I knew you I might be able to give advice, but God would still have to be the authority telling you what to do. So just seek Him in prayer, diligently and sincerely. Commit to it. He’ll show you, especially as you read the Bible.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Nic J » Sun May 28, 2017 4:34 pm

How do I give everything to the Lord? What does that look like?

So if I ask God what I need to change he's gonna just tell me?? How long will I have to wait for him to answer?
Nic J

Postby jimwalton » Sun May 28, 2017 4:57 pm

“How do I give everything to the Lord? What does that look like?” It is both in prayer and in daily life. I remember several times, when i was desperately seeking God and feeling so empty, that I would lay on my face in prayer, and I imagined that God was in front of me. In my mind I would pray “I give my mind to you, every thought.” And then I would actually move my arms as if I were actually giving my thoughts to God. But I meant it. I didn’t want thoughts that weren’t pleasing to Him, and I wanted His thoughts to be my thoughts. Then I said, “I give you my heart—everything I feel, and all my attitudes.” Again I would move my arms and give it to Him. Then I said…

“I give you my schedule.”
“I give you my family.”
"I give you my loves.”
“I give you my problems.”
“I give you my worries.”
"I give you my successes in life.”
“I give you my time.”
“I give you my job."
“Everything I own is yours.”
“I give you my past.”
“I give you today.”
“I give you tomorrow."
“I give you my future.”

Whatever I could think of. I might have spent 30 minutes in prayer, giving it all to God. Everything I could bring to mind. I tried to cover my whole life, and my whole person. And I didn’t just do that once; I did it often, because I was serious. I wanted to belong to God, and I wanted Him in me. In ways it was a very cool experience—very meaningful.

Some people say that when you give something to God, he gives it back. I didn’t care if He gave it back. I wanted all these things to be His, whether He gave them back or not. I’ll admit there were sometimes, in my worst of days, I felt like i gave everything to God, he took it, and walked away with it all, leaving me like an empty shell. I was ANGRY. How does somebody who supposedly loves you do that to you? But I would give it anyway, and the next day do it again, despite my anger. You know what happened? It was WEIRD, but one day when I was praying, I had this thought that God took everything I gave Him and walked away, but as I laid there, feeling empty and used, Jesus walked up to me, unzipped my empty body like a body suit, and climbed inside me. (I told you it was weird.) But I got the point: I give all of myself to God, and He gives all of Himself to me. I didn’t get my stuff back, but I got what I wanted: Jesus in me.

But then it has to move into life, too. When I would be in places and ready to speak something, into my mind would pop, “Wait a minute, I gave my tongue to God. I gave my words to God. I’m not going to say that.” Or watch a certain movie, or turn a song off the radio, because I had given my ears to God. I treated people differently because I had even given my relationships to God. It was actually quite amazing to watch what God was doing in my because I gave myself to Him.

You see? I was praying, but I wasn’t asking for anything. In this case I was just giving myself to God, and then God started answering prayers I hadn’t even prayed! I could see Him at work in my life and at work around me. Things that would surprise me, but I’d see His hand in it. It’s hard to describe.

“So if I ask God what I need to change He’s gonna just tell me?” Yeah, that’s how it works. You read the Bible, and things pop out at you. You pray, and thoughts pop into your head. You’re going through your day, and you start to think things about God, and see His hand at work. What needs to change becomes clear in your mind, as well as the strength to do it. But then comes the hard part—actually making the change, not just once, but over and over until you have built a new way of thinking or acting.

“How long do I have to wait for Him to answer?” That depends. Sometimes it’s right away, as sometimes it has been for me. That time I told you about before.when I was really down, I had to wait 3 years, and its was agonizing. But the changes came. God rebuilt me the way He wanted me. I was learning things I had never learned before, so I kept praying harder and reading the Bible more. But it didn’t happen on my schedule, nor did it happen the way I wanted it to, thought it would happen, or when it would happen. Because, frankly, that’s just thinking about ME. And the point is, I wanted to fill my life with HIM. Focus on HIM. Live to please HIM. He could do whatever He wanted with me, because HE was what mattered. And when I focused on Him, not to get out of it what I wanted, but to get out of it whatever He wanted to make of it, that was a turning point for me.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Nic J » Wed May 31, 2017 2:31 pm

So when I give the lord everything in my life, how will I know I did it honestly and completely? He will tell me? He unzipped you (that was weird but cool sounding).

So now you have given the Lord everything and you know you have .. Do you have to still work on that? Or it is just you now?

So changing the topic. ( I hope that's okay I am all over the place ). The other night I was talking to my mom and I asked her a question about my grandpa. Now somehow/some way this conversation got to When love ones die and go to heaven, do they think/miss loved ones on earth?" So does my mom's dad and mom think about her/miss when they are in heaven, or are they just amazed by God all the time?

Another random question. How long has the earth been around? People say only like 10,000 years or others say millions of years? Which one is it ?
Nic J

Postby jimwalton » Wed May 31, 2017 2:55 pm

“How will I know I gave everything in my life to the Lord honestly and completely?” Only you and God know. I have done it many times, though. In ways I give myself to Him every day. It’s just the way I want to live. And I know I mean it sincerely. I am so sold on living for God (that it is the truth and the only real way to live) that “how can I tell if I was being sincere” is a no-brainer. I think of all the things life has to offer, and when I think about connecting with the real God who really made it all and who is really there, that trumps everything. That’s what I want. Money, success, happiness—doesn’t even begin to compare, when I really stop to think about it, with the awesomeness of knowing God, so that’s what I want to do with my life.

“Do you still have to work on that?” Every day, but it’s not like it’s hard. I work on loving my wife with all my heart every day, too, but it’s a great pleasure to do that. So also with God. Everything in life takes maintenance, even our relationships. My relationship with my kids is no different, with my wife no different, with my friends no different, with God no different.

”When loved ones die, do they think/miss loved ones on earth?” If we go by what the Bible says, the Bible gives a few hints, but they’re only hints. In the parable of the rich man and Lazarus (Lk. 16.27), he is in torment and thinking about his family. In Revelation 6.9-11, the martyrs seem to be thinking about what’s going on on earth and they are told that more have to die before the Lord puts a stop to it. That’s not much to go by, and it doesn’t answer your question very well. Do they miss us? That’s something left to interpretation, and I hate to read too much into it.

“How long has the earth been around?” We know it’s been longer than 10,000 years—that’s just not possible. Jericho has been occupied as a city since at least 8,000 BC, and they haven't finished digging all the layers. Other human remains in places have been found to be from before that, so 10,000 years just isn’t possible. The scientists tell us the earth is about 4.5 billion years old. We always want good science, but I don’t have any particular reason to doubt that number.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Nic J » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:09 pm

I still have more questions.

How do you hear from God, and how do you know what he is telling you?

Can people go to heaven and come back? I was told that's not possible.

Can you please explain speaking in tounges to me? Some people beileve you have to and others don't. I don't really understand what the Bible says about it.

If God doesn't need us ... then why did he make us and send his only son to die for us? Just because he loves us?

What is God ? He's not a human right? He is just a spirit?

Wow I guess this questions have been building up inside of me. I think I think too much. Ooops !
Nic J

Postby jimwalton » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:28 pm

“How do you hear from God, and how do you know what he is telling you?” Almost always when I hear from God, it’s when I understand something that I read in the Bible. The Bible is almost always the way God talks to me. Other than that, sometimes I feel strong feelings about something, “nudges” or “urges.” I don’t know whether to trust them, because my mind and thoughts aren’t reliable enough for me to count on “God told me…” But sometimes these nudges or urges just seem to be coming from not me, and sometimes when I follow them, God things happen. In those cases it’s only as I look backward that I realize God was talking to me. But sometimes those urges are just thoughts popping into my head and not God at all, so I need to be real careful. The Bible is almost always the way God talks to me, and it’s very reliable that way.

“Can people go to heaven and come back?” No. There are only a few times in the Bible those things happened, and so I’d say in general and specifically that such things can’t happen. The only times they happened:

1 Samuel 28: King Saul and the witch of Endor
In the Gospels, at the Transfiguration: Moses and Elijah appeared with Jesus.
Matt. 27.50-53: Saints of old came back as an evidence of Jesus’ resurrection.

That’s it, and so I say with confidence, based on what the Bible says: People can’t go to heaven and come back.

“Speaking in tongues.” Speaking in tongues is thought, by Pentecostals and the Assembly of God churches, to be an evidence that the Holy Spirit is in you. It’s a heavenly language, they say, not a known human language. When you hear someone speak in tongues, it sounds like nonsense syllables, and can only be understood if someone with the gift of interpretation tells you what they said. The person speaking it doesn’t even understand what they are saying unless someone else interprets.

I don’t speak in tongues. I never have, and I don’t seek it. The Bible says people have the Holy Spirit when they become saved, and the HS never leaves them. I go by the Biblical teaching. We can talk about this more if you have more questions about it.

“If God doesn’t need us, then why did he make us?” I read a great answer to this from an author named Watchman Nee. God created man because He wanted more children. God was not satisfied that Christ should remain his only begotten son. He wanted more children who were like Christ and likewise glorified.

Rom. 8.16-18 – heirs of God, his children
Rom. 8.29-30 – Jesus is firstborn among many brothers
John 1.14 – Jesus was God’s only begotten, but (v.12) he wanted more children
Heb. 2.10 – God wanted to glorify more sons

And even though He knew we would sin, He knew His power of redemption was stronger than our sin. As the old hymn says, "Grace that is greater than all our sin.”

“What is God?” You’re right, he doesn’t have a body. He is immaterial; he has no substance, doesn’t take up space, and isn’t bound by time. We say he is spirit, but don’t think “ghost,” because a ghost is in one place at one time. God is more like air in that sense: you can’t seem him, but he’s there; he’s everywhere. He doesn’t have arms, eyes, hands, mind, or heart. The Bible says he is truth, wisdom, righteousness, splendor, holy, knowledge, and love. You can never see him, except in the person of Jesus. Even when we get to heaven, we won’t see him—only Jesus. Look at the description of God in Revelation 4.1-5; Ezekiel 1, and Isaiah 6. You see stuff, but not a person (a body). I’m sure there’s more to talk about here, too.

Feel free to keep asking questions. It’s good that you’re thinking so much.
jimwalton
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Assorted Bible Questions