Board index Assorted Bible Questions

Assorted and general Bible questions that really don't fit any of the other categories

Would like to start praying, but to what end?

Postby Dominatrix » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:29 am

Hey Jim, Happy New Year I hope you and your wife are well.

I've been reading some Carl Jung and been more open to the idea of god than ever before I'd say. I've realised that we are not happy seeking creatures. I think it's a low goal not because there's something wrong with being happy because thank god that you get to be happy now and then but I don't think that's what we seek I think we seek a meaning that's deep enough to sustain us through tragedy. And that is way different. I also read the Gulag Archipelago and this instilled this theory, even more, when the godly folk in the camps withstood such hellish ordeals with their faith remained unshaken. I would like to start praying but I'm not sure why or what for? A connection with God I ask myself? Am I even ready for a connection with God I'm not sure how I would react? I'm also not entirely convinced if it would be my brain playing tricks on me in which I would interpret as God when in actuality it's just a placebo effect or a similar illusion I don't want to be fooled. I don't want to be sceptical at the same time. Is there any proof of a God I ask myself and if so where is it? I hope you can help me out.

Kind regards.
Dominatrix

Re: Would like to start praying, but to what end?

Postby jimwalton » Wed May 19, 2021 7:10 am

Thanks for writing. I would love to talk with you. I understand your reticence to start praying, but much like anything else, you have to start somewhere.

Praying is simple conversation. You're talking to God. I would recommend starting out just talking to Him by telling Him what you're thinking. Yeah, sort of like talk therapy. It's one of the ways you connect with God. As you are being sincere, you'll discover that you are perceiving how He responds to you. I've never heard a voice (though I think that would be nice), but over the next period of time things that people say, or things you read, or thoughts that come to your head, make you go, "Hey, wait a minute, that's what I was praying about." And then you talk to God about that and you become aware of a type of conversation happening.

You wonder if you're ready for a connection with God, but it sounds to me (from reading your first paragraph) that you are. I'm not sure how you'll react either, but that's all in the adventure. We're not sure what we'll be like when we fall in love for the first time, or get our first job, or get married, but we go ahead with it because it's important in life.

As far as your brain playing tricks on you, I'll trust that you're intelligent enough to be able to discern brain tricks from genuine events. And if you're suspecting brain tricks, then it's OK to be skeptical and to pursue authenticity. If God is real and your connection is real, I trust you'll be able to tell that.

As far as proof of God, there technically is none. The logic points us in a Godward direction, as does science. Experiences are also valid, and we have to weigh all of that.

I'll tell you what. Start praying and see how that goes. Don't ask God for stuff; He's not Santa Claus. You're just trying to establish a connection, so talk to him about what you're thinking. Start off with just 5 minutes; tomorrow you'll find that it's 10, and soon you'll be at 20. It's not about how long you spend in prayer, though; you'll find that you're more comfortable with doing it.

And also read the Gospel of John. Not bulldozing through it, but think about what it's saying. And feel free to talk to me about it all if you want. I'm glad that you're exploring.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Wed May 19, 2021 7:10 am.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Assorted Bible Questions