Board index Assorted Bible Questions

Assorted and general Bible questions that really don't fit any of the other categories

music

Postby Optimistic Nihilist » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:55 am

I know people who believe anything except Christian music is sinful. This includes songs about peace, self-love, unity or even classical music. What are your views on this?
Optimistic Nihilist

Re: music

Postby jimwalton » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:28 pm

I love all kinds of music. Though some music (primarily lyrics) is specifically designed to be anti-God, most music is the expression of one's heart and is a gift from God. to me not listening to any music except Christian music is as flawed an idea as not reading any book not written by a Christian, not looking at any art not painted or sculpted by a Christian, not watching any TV not produced by a Christian, or not buying any sneakers not manufactured by a Christian.

Here's a statement from Dr. Harold Best, former chair of the music department at Wheaton College Conservatory of Music:
"I take the position that, with certain exceptions, art and especially music are morally relative and inherently incapable of articulating, for want of a better term, truth speech. They are essentially neutral in their ability to express belief, creed, moral and ethical exactitude, or even worldview. I also assume that, no matter how passionately artists may believe what they believe or try to show these beliefs in what they imagine and craft, their art remains purposefully “dumb.” Further, I maintain that artists and their works can be separated and their works are to be understood simply as handiwork. Even so, artists remain personally accountable for what they believe, how they behave, and for the reasons they make their art and music the way they do. Finally, I will assume that Christians are biblically justified in fully celebrating artistic activity of the most diverse sort, including that which may have been created in downright unbelief."

Last bumped by Anonymous on Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:28 pm.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Assorted Bible Questions