Board index Specific Bible verses, texts, and passages John

John 6:65

Postby Reconnoiter » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:41 pm

Hello Jim,

I'd like to talk about this one.

'And he said, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father.”'

A tricky verse. Gives off the vibe that God has a "Book of Life" and only those chosen are allowed in. I know this isn't the intent, so could you help me out?
Reconnoiter

Re: John 6:65

Postby jimwalton » Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:32 pm

Here’s how I read and understand this text.

The overriding theme of the passage is false disciples (based in earthly things) vs. true disciples (based on spiritual things).

These false disciples have been following Jesus for the wrong reasons (v. 26):
  • To fill their physical hunger (v. 22)
  • By insisting on signs (v. 30)
  • Looking at things from an earthly perspective (vv. 34, 52)
  • Grumbling, like the Israelites in the wilderness, a show of unbelief (vv. 44 52, 64)

What Jesus is looking for instead of these earthly perspectives and works is a life founded and grounded in spiritual realities (which is Jesus, Jn. 14.6), eating the spiritual bread (which is Jesus), and participating in spiritual life (which is Jesus, v. 63).

Jesus’s point in v. 44, by saying “the Father draws,” is to show that salvation is of the Spirit, not of works (v. 28). Jesus is not trying to establish a theology of predestination and election. Instead, He is telling us that salvation is spiritual and a work of grace, not earthly and a work of works.

So also here (v. 65), Jesus’s point is that salvation is of God (by grace through faith), not of works, so that no one can boast that at least some of the credit belongs to them.

So, that's my run at it. He's not pushing a theology (predestination and election), but rather a way of salvation (Jesus rather than works). We can talk more if you want.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to John