Board index Angels

What are they? What do they do? What do we know about them?

Do angels have a soul?

Postby Scape211 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:12 am

Had a conversation with someone who said that angels don't have souls and it made me think about that statement. Do we really know they don't?

On one hand, we know that when souls are mentioned in the bible, its generally referring to personhood or us as humans. It is connected with the idea of atonement and salvation, which we experience as humans. Also, our creation story in Genesis shows God breathed life (or a soul) into us in a theological sense. So the idea of a soul appears to be within us and we have no account of it being in angels.

On the other hand, we know these bodies won't last forever and the part of us that is eternal is the soul. Angels are also said to be eternal and might therefore have a soul already. And who's to say God didn't breathe a soul into them before our creation story.

Is this topic ever addressed in the bible and I'm missing something? Or is it just inconclusive? I know it's not a huge deal, but it was certainly intriguing to me and I thought I'd ask.
Scape211

Re: Do angels have a soul?

Postby jimwalton » Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:20 am

Good to talk to you again. How are you doing?

The Bible mentions nothing about angel souls, so any answer is speculative. Souls are specifically associated with humans (Gn. 2.7), and never with spirit beings like angels or even with animals. Obviously angels are conscious and sentient, and obviously they have free will, but any speculation about souls is speculation.

I have said before, when asked, is that our soul, whatever it is, is that part of us that connects to God. (Here we speculate:) Maybe angels don't need a soul; they are connected to God. The fallen angels abandoned their connection to God—and that's all we know.

I think we're remiss to speculate about souls and angels. We aren't told even the smallest tidbit, so everything is guesswork and therefore unreliable.

> Angels are also said to be eternal and might therefore have a soul already. And who's to say God didn't breathe a soul into them before our creation story.

Maybe, maybe not. The argument from silence is worthless. It has no reliability, takes us nowhere, and accomplishes nothing.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Re: Do angels have a soul?

Postby Scape211 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:20 pm

jimwalton wrote:Good to talk to you again. How are you doing?

I'm doing well and enjoying the nice weather when I can. Hope you are doing good were you are now ;)

jimwalton wrote:Maybe, maybe not. The argument from silence is worthless. It has no reliability, takes us nowhere, and accomplishes nothing.

Totally agree. I think the person I was talking to was trying to make a point about something else. However, I was intrigued by what seemed like assurance that they don't have a soul and I had to dig deeper. Appreciate your input as always!
Scape211

Return to Angels