Board index Science and the Bible

Christianity and anti-scientific conclusions

Postby Da Dog » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:37 pm

Does the consistency of Christians choosing anti-scientific solutions disturb you at all?

It seems like a lot of people claim that the earth is flat based on the bible and that vaccines are bad, somehow also based on the bible.

Not sure how the vaccine part plays in, perhaps god would not create a person with such flaws?

As for flat earth, I do feel think that most christians see the world as round, but a rather large number of flat earthers point to the bible for the reasoning that the earth is flat.

Do you agree with these sentiments, do you ignore them, or are they a source of irritation for you?
Da Dog

Re: Christianity and anti-scientific conclusions

Postby jimwalton » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:09 am

I don't know any Christians who are anti-scientific. Rather, I find that Christians are excited about science and readily dig in. I live near a large state university where there are many Christians studying the sciences. The college I attended had a large science department filled with Christians. I myself love science. I learn as much as I can.

> It seems like a lot of people claim that the earth is flat

Gotta admit I've never heard this. Christians who believe the earth is flat because of the Bible? I wonder what verse they're misconstruing to reach that conclusion?

> vaccines are bad

I know people who think vaccines can cause certain problems, and they're willing to take the risk without the vaccine rather than enter the risk of the vaccine. But those have nothing to do with religion. It's just risk assessment on the part of those parents.

> Do you agree with these sentiments, do you ignore them, or are they a source of irritation for you?

(A) I don't agree with them, (B), yeah, I ignore them, and (C) the only irritation is with non-thinking people who ignore evidence. But I meet plenty of those people that has nothing to do with religion!

Last bumped by Anonymous on Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:09 am.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Science and the Bible