Board index Heaven and Hell

What we know about heaven and hell

The concept of heaven is actually my idea of hell

Postby Shazzam » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:35 am

Take the immortal words of Freddie Mercury "Who wants to live forever?" I for one don't.

As an infant, the concept of living forever was very appealing to me, but as I grew up I realised that I really didn't grasp what forever actually meant. Infinity, you see, is, well, infinite. I could spend an eternity in heaven individually investigating the minutest detail of every atom within the entire universe, and yet still have time to do it all again, again and again and well you get the point. People often tell me that there will always be new things to discover in heaven, an infinity of new things! Oh goody, so now I have an infinity to discover an infinity of new things.

I attribute meaning to my life by realising that it is the one life I have. It is finite and therfore I have to make it best I can make it. How can I get that same meaning from a life that has no end?
Shazzam

Re: The concept of heaven is actually my idea of hell

Postby jimwalton » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:38 am

> I attribute meaning to my life by realising that it is the one life I have.

I'm curious to hear an explanation of what you mean by this.

- What is inherent in your life that gives it meaning?
- Why does a short life have meaning that a long life doesn't have?
- What is the source of the meaning you sense?

Just curious.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Postby Shazzam » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:31 pm

> What is inherent in your life that gives it meaning?

The finiteness of it. The knowledge that it will eventually end gives me the impetus to live my life to it's fullest potential.

> Why does a short life have meaning that a long life doesn't have?

Infinity isn't just a long life, it is infinity! Sure I want a long life, but having to life that life forever? Nope, just don't like the idea of it, mainly for the reason I gave to your first question.

> What is the source of the meaning you sense?

Not sure what you are really getting at here? The source for the meaning?
Shazzam

Postby jimwalton » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:20 am

Thanks. That helps, but I guess I'm still unclear. The shortness of life obviously makes you feel an urgency, and you don't want to waste it, I understand, but what gives it meaning (purpose)?

> Infinity isn't just a long life, it is infinity! Sure I want a long life, but having to life that life forever?

So you think with that long, it's bound to turn sour somehow and lose its meaning. It won't be worth living anymore, because boredom will have set in. But what is the meaning that is lost? What is life about that will be ruined if allowed to continue for too long?

> Not sure what you are really getting at here? The source for the meaning?

Sorry. I'm not trying to be unclear. Do we give life whatever meaning we want to, or does the meaning of life come from outside of us and we have to find it? What's the source of what you call "meaning"? Where does it come from?

Last bumped by Anonymous on Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:20 am.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Return to Heaven and Hell