Board index Bible

What is the Bible? Why do we say it's God's Word? How did we get it? What makes it so special?
Forum rules
This site is for dialogue, not diatribe. And, by the way, you have to be at least 13 years old to participate. Plus normal things: no judging, criticizing, name-calling, flaming, or bullying. No put-downs, etc. You know the drill.

Re: What if another "Gospel" kind of document were found?

Postby jimwalton » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:42 am

You're probably right in several ways. I would hope that the Christian community would be open to good scholarship regardless of how it coincided with their present understanding. Since Christians regard the NT record of Jesus' life as authoritative and inspired of God, they would naturally be reticent to accept an account that showed Jesus in a view that contradicted the Gospels. After all, we know there are many Gospels out there that give a totally fictional and spurious perspective on Jesus. No matter what it was, I doubt that it would be added to the canon. Christians believe that God has already made the decision of what would be part of the canon. But if the new discovery contained authentic and most likely true information about Jesus, I would hope it would be welcomed with open arms by both believers and detractors. To be responsible, we have to learn to accept what is shown to be true.
jimwalton
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Bible